Info on Ls Vtec Setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CHILL

Im planning on building a ls vtec motor with a b18b block and a b16a (or b18c1) head. My question is if I were to put ctr pistons, itr cams, crower rods in is this setup still good if I plan on boosting in the future. Ive heard alot about the compression being higher with an ls vtec setup but I though low compression is better for a turbo setup? I tried searching the forums but couldnt get a straight up answer. I'm also up for suggestions for this setup so if any of you could help, thanks.

I would put in aftermarket pistons such as JE/Endyn if you plan on boosting, and if you want higher than average compression then stick with 9.5:1,,,see pro turbo cars are running now a daya higher compression than everyone thinks, some as high as 10.5:1 and they run great times but your car is a street car.

I would suggest 9.0:1 JE's.

What would be a good selection if I were to buy the pistons and rods, before a turbocharging it, that are streetable but that will be able to hold boost later on?

I am partial to endyn, you can get lots of configuration pistons for your engine.Just remember that thing about rod ratio and realize that without changing that you will limit your rpm range.I would suggest using a larger bore to help this and get your crank balanced etc..I ve built and build these engines and they pull hard.If you want to boost one then you should prep the block well(posting the block,resleeving,and use a good girdle)I do these engines ready to ship for descent prices so hit me up if you want a drop in ready to go ls/vtec built for turbo.

if you are gonna get a mild turbo, use the LS pistons and shot peend LS rods. If you want to turn up the boost, then you should look into sleeving, JE/Endyn pistons, rods etc.
BTW: i would choose the b16 head over the GSR for your setup.

je is a nice set up...i have a few friends that use these and have had a lot of good experiences with them, endyn in my set-up and i have yet to see a problem. if you use the ctr pistions you probably wont be able to boost it without some sleeves or fine fine tuning. stick with near stock compression on that ls, then build you a boosting monster. b16 head is nice as well....itr if you have the money....port and polsih that b16 and you will have an itr head (almost).

brett

CTR pistons for boosting????????

The compression is too high, I would think you would want around the 9's

usvispeedracer:what vtec cams r good for ls /tec ..keep in mind that iam only red lining at 8,000 rpm,,,to stay away from r/s/ danger zone 8,500 vtec rpms ,,even thow i hav a fully rebuilt buttom end all after market internals and bored out to a 1.9 liter block .iam asking cuz u could say type r cams but i wouldent get full efficanciy on them cuz tpe r cames were set to a higher red line ,so i did some search and found out that gsr cams r great with ls/vtec convertion ,or stay with b16 cams .any sugg or imfo ............i also plan on boosting 7or9 lps after the hybird is broken in nicely..
usvispeedracer@yahoo.com

Im planning on building a ls vtec motor with a b18b block and a b16a (or b18c1) head. My question is if I were to put ctr pistons, itr cams, crower rods in is this setup still good if I plan on boosting in the future. Ive heard alot about the compression being higher with an ls vtec setup but I though low compression is better for a turbo setup? I tried searching the forums but couldnt get a straight up answer. I'm also up for suggestions for this setup so if any of you could help, thanks.
/////////////// ////////////////// if u use a b18b1 block like iam,make sure u get a breather box for it ...the b18a1 has a manufactured o.e.m breather box set up on it ,,,,,b18b1 r newer......breather boxes releaces crank pressure loads and helps u 2 stay away from blowing a hole in ur block espcaley a ls/vtec set up r/s is longer rods..........Or u blow the side of ur block or the most famos thing is spinning a rod with ls/vtec ...red lineing a 10,00 rpms unless u have a golden sleeves

Back