Info on Short shifters for Del Sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Havok

What we have here is some info regarding a short shifter for the del sol. Basically, it comes down to : use the oem one. The truth is : the Honda Del Sol shifter is shorter than a Skunk2, B & M, DC sports,etc. The Civics and Integras are the ones that benefit from a short shifter.

As much as I hate to admit it, Chet is right, stick with the original. Honda knew what they were doing, concerning del sol shift linkage, pivots. As for shifts feeling stronger, better, more secure simply check on the linkage, bolts, etc...After taking out my oem one and putting it back in, the shifter feels 100% smoother, all it needed was some cleaning and new lubricant. It's not worth wasting money on a shifter that will sit in a different position, and risk the chance of fucking up synchros.

wow...you admitted i was correct.

i in fact am using an OEM del sol shifter in my civic...as i modified the shift linkage to work in an EG hatch.

remember, del sol linkage is longer and requires modification...

all del sol short shifters are the same length...and they can all be interchanged with regular b-series shift linkage.

thus, its possible to have an OEM short shifter...although i wouldn't recommend it...staying stock is fine.

could you fill me in on how exactly it fucks up synchros because i installed on in my ek a month ago and don't want to do any damage

i'm not exactly sure how it fucks up synchros but i think it has something to do with putting too much presure on the shift linkage, especially when the angle is modified by the short shifter.
ever notice how your shifter feels more notchy with a short shifter?

if the del sol shifter is shorter than couldn't you use a oem del sol shifter in a civic or integra?

they aren't necessarily the reason snychro's get damaged...but the use of them encourages it...

by shortening the length of the shifter...the speed with which you change gears is increased...and if you are shifting faster it increases the chances of damaging the synchro's...or putting more stress on them..

i agree with milan, they are a waste of money.

My experience:
Acura Integra $3200
Short Shifter $70
Blowing a perfectly good YS1 in 1 1/2 months, lets call that priceless, or better yet, expensive!

Im not exactly sure how they mess it up, I think its because of the diffrent angle that the linkage hits the tranny at. Notice the length from the pivot point to the actual connector of the shift linkage. The short shifter is about 50% shorter, making the "angle of attack" much diffrent. Wow, very hard to put in words!

i see what you're saying about the linkage being farther down than with a oem shifter but i'm leaning towards the idea that it shoves it in to gear too hard.

Originally posted by Dman1100@Jul 2 2003, 02:47 AM
i see what you're saying about the linkage being farther down than with a oem shifter but i'm leaning towards the idea that it shoves it in to gear too hard.

Yes, also, since the travel is shorter, it gives the Syncros a shorter time to shift causing pemature wear. With my stock shifter, before I changed my tranny fluid (helped so much and was so easy to do) I could shift faster then what my syncros could (aka It grinded speed shifting into 2nd)

Back