!@*$ing Jeep

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

So I have my Dad's wrangler this week because the alt hasn't come in for the Broodwagon yet.

And I start it up this morning, and bring it into my driveway (On a hill). I engage the fresh ebrake, and it holds. I go into the garage to get the broom to sweep it off. I'm in the garage and I hear a "POP". I look out, and the jeep is CRUISING down the driveway. This isn't a slight groaning roll, the ebrake has completely let go, and it's moving backwards at a clip. In it's sights: My neighbor's new Forester.

I am running alongside it, I jump on the running boards, swing around the door and jump in. Miss. I've got my upper body in the cab, but my legs are hanging out and the door is closed on them. I consider using my hands.

Can't reach.

I push the door open and pull myself in and hit the brake as hard as I can. And I'm sliding. Sliding, sliding.. Stopped. I sheepishly open the door and look outside. I'm about 1.5 feet from their car.

Then, the killer. The jeep is stuck. Lockers front and rear, goodyear tires. Stuck. I had to lug it out of there in 2nd gear to get it to move.

I call my dad (Whos in florida) and he says "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about that. The ebrake, when it's on a real hill, disengages about 30 seconds after you engage it."

What a piece of shit !

had the same thing happen on my father cj

hop out walk 10 feet away... this in San Fran..... by the time it stopped it took out 2 cars a truck and a fire hydrant.

it stopped against a tree.

Quoted post[/post]]
suck oh well at lest you didnt hit a dear like we did last night

God sorry to hear that.

Hey, uh I have something I would like to admit. When I saw your name I said "Who is this?" So I clicked on your profile and starting going through it. Same thing I do for lots of people. Admitting that, I have a question: How or why did you disappear on Oct 30th, 2003 at 8:50 and reappear on Oct 30th, 2005 at 9:30 ? Are you a time traveller ?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
suck oh well at lest you didnt hit a dear like we did last night

God sorry to hear that.

Hey, uh I have something I would like to admit. When I saw your name I said "Who is this?" So I clicked on your profile and starting going through it. Same thing I do for lots of people. Admitting that, I have a question: How or why did you disappear on Oct 30th, 2003 at 8:50 and reappear on Oct 30th, 2005 at 9:30 ? Are you a time traveller ?

no i didnt have a computer for a while then i forgot my name and started a new user name twistedimage.

then as i got more in to the site i was able to find my old name, so i said oh well with the high post count that i had as twistedimage in favor of the lower member number of kaoskustoms now i just have to rebuild my post count.

on a side note we got lucky when we hit the deer last night, we (me wife 2 kids one who is 3 and the other is 1 and my 2 dogs )were on the way to see my mom in colorado we left wyoming at 7pm.

it was dark and we were crusing along at 85 cruise set just humming along look back to hand the kid some chicken nuggets and look up wham we hitthe deer, holly crap i think. pull over and look at the van. the wife is freaking out and the kids are still eating and both dogs still asleep. lol turn around in the middle of the high way, hit the first exit like 1/4 mile away pull of and check the van better.
only sufferd brokrn head light bent hood broke grill and bumper and the grill hit the a/c condensier so a/c was leaking but didnt hit the radiator so got lucky so we just headed home we were only like 22 miles from our house so no big deal.

why people still buy "Heeps" is beyond me....

slow as shit.
drive like shit
useless vehicle

unless you're a hardcore off roader, they are useless cars

Quoted post[/post]]

slow as shit.
drive like shit
useless vehicle

They are tough as nails, good in snow/mud/off road and on road. Have good ground clearance, They have a crap load of torque, and ride great when on the pavement. :dunno: Great Sport UTILITY vehicle. At least they haven't completely sold out to pavement pounding like everyone else has.

It's an overpriced box, whos value has only been raised by their owners ego. Like Jaguar.

It's such a simple vehicle, and unlike the JF Landcrusher, can't even say that their value has gone up because of how rare they are.

Tough ? Negative. Dents just like anything. offroading ? snapping axles, popping hubs and pushing out the driveshaft is as common with these as anyone else. As far as good on road, my dad's Cherokee cornered better than my 4Runner - but that was about it.
For utility you can' tfit a goddam thing in them.

they guzzle gas. Like, way more than anything their size should.

As far as selling out, they were the first. When Toyota and Nissan softened up after the success of the Bronco II, Jeep went soft too with the plastic fender flares, Eagle Summits and the cushy (Yet, yeah.. capable) Grand Cherokee. The new ones are even more insulting to the brand. The Commander and it's 9 mpg shit seriously insults the hell out of me.

The softening of the Jeep is what led to all this SUV craze.

my 4Runner totally owns this thing.

It is a simple vehicle. They kept it simple on purpose. They do have thicker body panels and frames than their competitors. Which is why they weigh so damned much, and like to guzzle that gas. You can break ANYTHING when "off-roading" as a sport/hobby. But for normal every day off-roading, such as going down a pot-hole, rut-ridden dirt path up the side of a mountain, they do just great. This is why they brag about being "trail rated".

Anything can be broken. The jeep is what led to the SUV craze, but I contend that they haven't gotten nearly as soft or fragile as the other "SUV"s out there.

I don't know why I'm arguing the point. Its not like I'm in love with jeeps or anything, but I would take a jeep over any other suv out there.

Quoted post[/post]]
It is a simple vehicle. They kept it simple on purpose. They do have thicker body panels and frames than their competitors. Which is why they weigh so damned much, and like to guzzle that gas. You can break ANYTHING when "off-roading" as a sport/hobby. But for normal every day off-roading, such as going down a pot-hole, rut-ridden dirt path up the side of a mountain, they do just great. This is why they brag about being "trail rated".

Anything can be broken. The jeep is what led to the SUV craze, but I contend that they haven't gotten nearly as soft or fragile as the other "SUV"s out there.

I don't know why I'm arguing the point. Its not like I'm in love with jeeps or anything, but I would take a jeep over any other suv out there.

yea im not in love with them either but i have 3 friends with them. none of them would trade them for anything. 5 minute oil changes, decent off-roading ability in stock form, and yes it is a box so who gives a shit about a dent. they have the best ones though, fuel injection(no carb), steel bumpers, and no plastic on the body.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

slow as shit.
drive like shit
useless vehicle

They are tough as nails, good in snow/mud/off road and on road. Have good ground clearance, They have a crap load of torque, and ride great when on the pavement. :dunno: Great Sport UTILITY vehicle. At least they haven't completely sold out to pavement pounding like everyone else has.

not true att all, they have the same ground clearnce as anyother small suv on the same tires size. The 4 banger has no tourqe and the straight 6 has some but a weak bottom end. They are no good for hardcore off roaders, look at all the hardcore offroad heeps, they have dana 44, or 60, custom 4 link suspensions, coilovers, and a motor swap. The only reason people use them is fot the cheap tub. Not to mentio the fact the door panels crack at minus 10 if you shut the door.

Quoted post[/post]]
not true att all, they have the same ground clearnce as anyother small suv on the same tires size. The 4 banger has no tourqe and the straight 6 has some but a weak bottom end. They are no good for hardcore off roaders, look at all the hardcore offroad heeps, they have dana 44, or 60, custom 4 link suspensions, coilovers, and a motor swap. The only reason people use them is fot the cheap tub. Not to mentio the fact the door panels crack at minus 10 if you shut the door.

What, and other hard core off roaders are using the factory suspension, right?? Gimme a break.

And who the hell would buy a four banger jeep? Those are worthless, But the 6 cylinder is a pretty good platform with lots of torque. They have those geared just right. And I said they have good ground clearance, not "they pawn everyone else in ground clearance"

Hell, to settle things, here is a link to Car and Driver's "rock climbing SUVs" comapro. Scroll to the bottom and look a the finish order. 'nuff said.

Car and driver SUV Comparo

Hell, that was a grand cherokee, too. Every other jeep, save for the liberty pwns it in off roading.

wranglers are not jeeps... they are female versions of what the original males were...

CJ or go home.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

What, and other hard core off roaders are using the factory suspension, right?? Gimme a break.

And who the hell would buy a four banger jeep? Those are worthless, But the 6 cylinder is a pretty good platform with lots of torque. They have those geared just right. And I said they have good ground clearance, not "they pawn everyone else in ground clearance"

Hell, to settle things, here is a link to Car and Driver's "rock climbing SUVs" comapro. Scroll to the bottom and look a the finish order. 'nuff said.

Hell, that was a grand cherokee, too. Every other jeep, save for the liberty pwns it in off roading.

Geard right? for stock 30" tires maybee. Put a 33-35 on there and you will never see 5th again. Also look at the wheel bearing throw a 35 on it and there they go and at 200 a piece there are not cheap to keep replacing. And grond clearance is based on diff size and tire size, the only Heeps have groung clearance is from the dana 30/35 axel that is so undersized its funny. Car and driver do not rate an offraod truck like thoe that wheel would. And as for other off roaders using stock suspension yes My sammy ran 36"s on nothing more than the stock leaf, and an axel flip kit, and that got me 4 inches of lift. Look up the price of a 4" lift for a TJ.
Bottom line I am sick of people thinking jeeps are the perfect offraod truck when thay are far from it.

And as to the 6 bannger the bottom end will shit as soon as you start to work it offraod. I know this cause I am in the middle of a rebuild of one.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Geard right? for stock 30" tires maybee. Put a 33-35 on there and you will never see 5th again. Also look at the wheel bearing throw a 35 on it and there they go and at 200 a piece there are not cheap to keep replacing. And grond clearance is based on diff size and tire size, the only Heeps have groung clearance is from the dana 30/35 axel that is so undersized its funny. Car and driver do not rate an offraod truck like thoe that wheel would. And as for other off roaders using stock suspension yes My sammy ran 36"s on nothing more than the stock leaf, and an axel flip kit, and that got me 4 inches of lift. Look up the price of a 4" lift for a TJ.
Bottom line I am sick of people thinking jeeps are the perfect offraod truck when thay are far from it.

And as to the 6 bannger the bottom end will shit as soon as you start to work it offraod. I know this cause I am in the middle of a rebuild of one.
not sure about that. my roommate last year had a wrangler that saw some form of woods every weekend. he drove hard to, broke 2 motor mounts at separate times but nevr had any mechanical problems.

and the ground clearance thing. a wrangler is one of the only vehicles i know of that you can change the oil or work on the bottom without a jack or jackstands.

Thank god, some sense.

Look in the forests of the world. The jungle to the sahara. The arctic tundra to the .. well... You get the hint.

Jeeps? Nope.

I used to spend time in the Colorado Rockies - A place where if your 4x4 gear doesn't live up to expectations, you could die. What did they have up there ? Lets list:

Nissan and Toyota trucks. Pathfinders and 4Runners. Heavy on the 4Runners. Suzuki Samurais. Apparently, Sammies are awesome as long as you don't cut the wheel at 40mph (Go figure!). The big boys had oldschool broncos and K5 blazers. Then some Internationals and lots of old Rovers. FJ40 landcrushers are up there too. (FJ40s on the coast are a status symbol). Jeeps ? No way.

Most of these SUVs you can change the oil on without jacking up. The Toyota trucks have more clearance than any Jeep (Jeep sinks it's bodies over the frames, Toyotas have the bodies sitting on the frames)

Now, lets talk about the inline 6 Jeep motors.

If anyone here is an actual mechanic, and has worked with the Supra inline 6, any good slant 6, or the Jaguar inline 6s you'll notice something they have in common: They don't shake. You have to knock them out 3 cylinders before they begin to shake back and forth - and then, only specific ones. The Jeep 4.0 i-6 shakes like a ratty V6. It's heavy, surprisingly low on the power, and it gets tired really soon. Every i6 that's out there lasts a long time - except the Jeep motor.

Al quaida won't even use a jeep.

Quoted post[/post]]
ya most trucks and suvs you can. And what size of tire is he running? does it see any amount of mud?
hes got some big tires but no lift kit. i dont think he could get bigger ones on without a lift. and the thing sees tons upon tons of mud. let me see if i can find some pics.

found some pics of my friends jeep.

in north carolina on the beach
gallery_35984_225_9696.jpg

i think this is on the paragon
gallery_35984_225_21146.jpg

this is in nj i think. this was not a set-up, he is literally on the edge of a cliff.
gallery_35984_225_1216.jpg

he has tons of pictures, i just couldnt find any other ones. actually for graduation rather than draw on his car with window markers like everyone else, he went off-roading, covered the whole thing in mud, then washed and waxed the whole left side of the car.

Back