Injector dilemma, me pissed!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok well i need to know cause im trying to arrange this ECU exchange. If its a waste for me to go all obd1 i wont. Its possible its wired wrong, but im not really sure. If anyone knows for sure this dizzy wont work without the right ECU let me know. Im getting confused.

Lol ok, its just you both have given me great info, but have both said opposite, im not doubting you efh but i just dont want to be spending money just to go back and forth.

Without a good level of experience with electrical and engine control systems, you wouldn't want to tamper with it. Especially if the engine already has the ecu it came with and is obd0. Several sensors and components and lots of custom wiring and connectors are required to convert, and possibly custom fuel maps (expensive ecu reprogramming). Based on my knowledge of b16 distributors, from obd0 to obd1 are the same with the exception of an added tdc sensor and different connectors. If the ecu is obd1, you cannot use an obd0 dizzy, but if you have an obd0 ecu and an obd1 dizy, you have to modify the wiring and install an obd0 igniter. The igniter must match the ecu. Everything would be easier if you could reinstall a working obd0 dizy. Converting to obd1 will ensure you being on these forums asking questions for a long time, and you will get no gain from it.

Damn, well im not sure what to do. My experience is limited and parts here are not easy to find. Well if the dizzy wont work, why was i getting spark from it, wouldnt it not fire?

Without a good level of experience with electrical and engine control systems, you wouldn't want to tamper with it. Especially if the engine already has the ecu it came with and is obd0. Several sensors and components and lots of custom wiring and connectors are required to convert, and possibly custom fuel maps (expensive ecu reprogramming). Based on my knowledge of b16 distributors, from obd0 to obd1 are the same with the exception of an added tdc sensor and different connectors. If the ecu is obd1, you cannot use an obd0 dizzy, but if you have an obd0 ecu and an obd1 dizy, you have to modify the wiring and install an obd0 igniter. The igniter must match the ecu. Everything would be easier if you could reinstall a working obd0 dizy. Converting to obd1 will ensure you being on these forums asking questions for a long time, and you will get no gain from it.

There are tons of companies that make plug and play conversion harnesses, and OBDI is a much better system to run.

There are tons of companies that make plug and play conversion harnesses, and OBDI is a much better system to run.

I know, i've performed many swaps from obd0 to obd1. It is better, but won't provide any gain for him. The money and time/effort would put him in a loss, especially if something goes wrong.

Justin, the distributor fires but performs more functions than that. It has multiple sensors in it that the ecu uses to determine when to spark and when to open injectors. You have spark means your ckp, igniter, coil, and rotor/cap are all working properly. But you are not getting injector fire probably because your CMP circuits have a fault, or werent hooked up correctly near the distributor connector.

Ok, so the dizzy itself will work, right? Just most likely wired wrong? Cause he wasent 100% sure. Im not getting a code or anything so i suppose its just not getting the sensor reading. Ill check the wiring soon, maybe get hom over and try and fix it. I dont doubt on the skill of the guy who did it, hes an honest friend and Honda tech. the people before me messed the wiring on alot of things so i dont blame him. Lets hope its the wire cause like i said the car worked when i brang it, he installed the dizzy, wired a OBD1 connector on the old one to match to the dizzy one, then the injectors didnt work. Sound like a miswire rather than a ECU fault, tho the ECU is bad shape, the new one is a good thing either way. Man this stuff it a bitch, electrical stuff is so tedious. Ill see if i can get a hold of him.

Back