Injector repinning B16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jgpoirier

This weekend I installed my B16... FINALLY! Only problem is I seem to be having issues with cylinder 3. When I remove the spark plug wire when the car is running, the motor does not make any difference in sound. I pulled the spark plug, all four are brand new, and the plug isnt wet nor is it dirty unlike the other three. The tip on cylinder three spark plug looks brand new. I am curious one buddy says he has always had to repin and move an injector wire on his b16 swaps, and another buddy says he never has had to. I have attempted at finding an answer to this with no luck. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks,

Guy

no pinning is required.

you might have a dud injector. swap it with another cyl and see if that one dies.

then its not the injectors.

check the wiring with a multimeter up to the plug. use a good one for a baseline.

if that works, it's probably not fuel related, but probably spark. check the plug wire for a spark arch

I will check with the meter, and yes I have checked for spark and yes its arc is as strong as the others. I really hope this isnt a valve issue. But wouldnt my spark plug be wet?

Tried a compression test, cly 4 was fine, went to do cly 3 and the gauge popped of the hose, put it back on and car wont crank over, starter just clicks. Took hose out and looked down at the piston with a light and it looks like the fitting on the comp tester hit the top of the piston and may have taken a chip out of the top of the piston. ARGGGGGG im almost at the point of tearing this motor out now.

damn!
hmmm.

check the TDC on each one to see if nothing is bent. After that issue I would check that.

other than that it makes now sense to have both fuel and spark and no fire.....
have removed the injector and looked to see if it squirts fuel?

weird.....

Last edited:
At least one bent valve on #3. I'm buying new valves, tomorrow, probably do retainers, and springs at the sametime. Most frustrating thing is I brought this head to Precise Engine Builders a reputable shop in my city to have it planed, I asked them to take a look at the valves as #3 cyl had previously just touched the head maybe .5mm on the edges of the cyl#3 on the head when a rod bearing went on the old block when my buddy had the engine. They said the valves were closing fine and I shouldnt have an issue. But new valves in and we'll see if that was the issue. I sure as fck hope so. Getting tired of troubleshooting.

Back