Inline 6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RicerRacer

got myself a new project car last week, 86.5 mk3 supra 3.0l inline 6 200 hp rwd. sweet lookin car, love the style. its not stoppin me from workin on my civic but it is definatley slowing it down oh well, its well worth it to me. have just finished instlalin new brakel ines front to back, pads and rotors all the way around on supra. waiting for master cylinder, and front right caliper to come in and i need to fine the n upper right front control arm and put new rockers in and she'll be on the road. over the winter will need some oter minor body work. gonna be such a sweet ride by next summer. motor in the car is 7m-ge. no misses or ticks runs like a charm. any1 here know much about supra's and te swaps, from what i've found out by looking into it, it sseems that ppl prefer the turbo version of the 7m-ge to the 2jz-gte swap. they say the 7m-gte is better done up then a 2jz-gte, im not overly familiar with toyota's so curious as to why it seems thats what ppl favour, what makes the 7m-gte better the 2jz-gte? 260 hp vs 320, which would u rather have in the car then start building, im presuming the 2jz is also an inline 6 cuz i couldnt see it being a 4 banger.

yes, i know a hella lot about them....and yes the 2JZ is an inline 6, also 3.0L.

Alrighty, so you want to do a turbo swap? Supras are an interesting little thing, so youve got a few choices on going turbo. All of them include replacing the head gasket. 7ms blow head gaskets like it aint no thang...so replace it early and replace it often :).

After you got that done, you have to decide on your budget. If youve got 3k to put into it, id see about getting a clip to get the harness and the engine (7m-GTE). If you dont have a lot of cash, id get the engine (7m-GTE), a new intercooler, new piping, megasquirt, and 80 million feet of wire.

Those are the two easiest ways to get a turbo in that car, but they are not the best solutions. As you probably know, the 2JZ has a notoriously bullet proof bottom end that is just hella insane. While thats all good, its kinda silly to put in a MKIII if you just want something thatll put down some decent HP (400-500HP). If you want a street beast (800-1100HP) i can see the need for a 2JZ.

A 1JZ is good cheap alternative, but most people will tell you its not worth the the hassle of mounts, wiring, or drive shaft creation...and i tend to agree (you have to do the same for the 2JZ as well).

If you want more info on all this and more, its best not to get it from a honda site. I dont usually point people away from HS.com, but id recommend checkin out Supraforums there is a LOT of GREAT info on the site.

thanks for the info, not sure which way im gonna go with the yet, wanna end up with nice power and still have enough to be a street beast. i'm also not getting ride of my 90 hb, gonna keep it as a side project.
thanks for your info, not sure which way im going to
go with th supra yet

The 7M-GE/GTE is still an awesome engine to build power on, plus it's cheaper than swapping in a 2JZ- but you just have to fix the head gasket kablooie problem that's common to the 7M. For the money that you spend swapping in a 2JZ, you can have respectable power out of the 7M. Of course, if you want ultimate power- you'll want to get the 2JZ and build it up, but that's a LOT of money. Seeing how you have a Civic to work on too, I doubt you'll want to front that kind of cash for your Supra.

,how hard is it to fix the head gasket problem on the 7m's?? with 3000-4000, what would be the best way to go about solving that issue as i dont want to be replacing it all the time and what would get the best hp gains including that budget? you're right calesta that's prolly the best way to go for now as it will allow more of a budget for working on the civic as well. also should the right control arm from an 87 turbo supra shold fit my 86.5 non turbo supra. both cars are the same body style, mk3. hard to find them cheap in canda, best i found was 350 for a new one and not having much luck finding a used one.

Last edited:
Head gasket on the 7M- most of what I've read is to just go with a metal head gasket. I don't know much more about the rest of your questions, because I'm not a Supra guy. I only did research on 2JZ and 1JZ blocks for the IS300, so I don't know too much about the 7M other than the fact that I could use a 7M transmission in the IS and have something bulletproof without shelling out cash for a 2JZ transmission.

:)

once replaced with a metal head gasket, you usually wont have too big of a problem with the head gasket.

thanks for the help with the head gasket problem, as for no help with or answers to how to get the most outta my budget i've set for now, will spend more later on down the road, just like i said, im just gettin into the supra scene and i've got alot to learn about them. yes ya'd think it'd be the same as doing any up car but its not, it's completly different, well maybe not completly and prolly fair to say its similiar but there's enough differnce for me to say i dont know enough to go ahead and just start on my own with my own ideas from what i research and learn. nice to get help from ppl that already know alot more then me and know everything inside out about them adn will be able to help me make sure i get the most for my money, oh and btw prolly commen sense but for those interested yes that is my civic in my avatar, picture was taken b4 i put my rims back on for summer, i know body is fairly stock but i still love it to death, performance b4 looks, gota have power to back up sweet looking ride and interior after exterior, less ppl see or are interested buot the interior, exterior, interiod and engine all have few minor mods with some work currently being done to it, and bigger stuff to be done after im done with the supra.

Last edited:
I would actually work on the interior first. You attract less attention from the wrong people that way- and you spend a LOT more time inside your car than you do outside. You can't see the outside while you're driving! Maybe that's why my cars never get washed....

hmm true, it's a good point Calesta, never thought abuot it that way before. doing it that way you'd end up with a sweet sleeper until you're finally finished with performance and whatever interior work you want and you cold proced to keep it as a sleeper and surprise everyone or continue on and finish the extieor to impress everyone, have some pride in a sweet sick ride, and you'd wouldnt get unwanted attenion ie: police when you're first rolling on some power, same goes for every ricer with basic mods that think they are unbeatable, and as yo pointed out i will agree it's definitly a good point but i'll stick with way of doing it, no offense to you, stock interior is in good shape so i dont mind living with that when the motor and exterior are done until i decided what i want to do inside, ohwi wnat it to look, figure rough costs and come up with a budget to fit if possible or set a budget and get the best balance inside possible, not too plain, not too wild, just a bit of both. anyone know a good place to find motors and front clips for supra swaps online, would like to find front clip of 7mgte or 2jzgte either will do, just having front clip will make the process alot easier and a much quicker and smoother swap. i've been lookin at a few diff sites but all i've found so far are motors, any links to online stores or sites that offer them would be great, wish the mk3 supra's werent so rare around where im from other wise i'd try the salvage yards. USA is so much better for access to any car part u want/need and usually tend to be cheaper then in canada.

No problem. The most important thing is to do what makes you happy. I'm just throwing out what I prefer to do.

I also have a 1986.5 supra that is going to get a 7mgte dropped in. I dont know about you, but I think the n/a's are pretty damn slow lol. Is yours 5spd or auto?

Anyway, from what I have read up on, the 7mgte engine and trans should be able to hold roughly 400whp safely before shit starts to break. Getting a MHG is a required upgrade if you plan to mod the engine or even do any spirited driving. As far as weight reduction is concerned, replacing the stock seats for non electronic ones are a very good mod to perform. Youll drop 100lbs or more.

Best mods to do right off the bat would be catless dp, 3'' cat-back, manual boost controller, and some dyno time. Those mods should net some pretty good gains from what I have read. If you want faster acceleration, keep the 4.10 gears on your car when you swap a 7mgte.

I hope this has helped you at least a little bit. Have fun with the Supra.

mine is a 5 spd and i've been thinkin of just replacing the 7m with anoter low mileage 7m but why not drop in te 7mgte to start with, be nice to have the bit ectra power from it and do some weigth reductions and the car wuld be enjoyable while i worked on building a better motor up such as the 1jz or 2jz turbo, from the few drives i've had the 7m-ge motor out for it doesnt feel like what i was expecting from a 3.0 L inline 6 that has 200 hp stock. good luck with urs and, adn thnks alot for the help, i will have fun with it.

Swapping the 7mgte is perfect unless you wanna make big power or have a dyno queen. They can handle around 400whp on the stock block and trans, you just need to do the right mods. The ct-26 is really small and not a very good turbo for the 7m since you can really only get about 14psi out of it safely. 300whp should get you into the 13s all day. Some will say that a non-turbo 3rd gen supra is worthless to mod or swap because they just take too much money to make fast. For half the price of a 4th gen you can have a decently fast 3rd gen, and it will be somewhat of a sleeper.

big power can wait awhile, more concerneed witha good running decently quick car which the 7m-gte would give me, so it's a fairly easy swap to replace a 7m-ge with the gte. not much work left to do to have it road ready, minor body work on rear fenders and wheel wells, replace passenger control arm and ball joint and look at steering box, lil heavy steering right. and either leave the 7m in it or replace it with the gte.

Steering is actually pretty responsive. You have the option of replaceing the steering unit with a mustang's, but it's kind of pricey.

No, it's not really much work to swap to turbo. You just need the turbo ecu along with a few other gte accesories. Aside from that its a pretty straightfoward swap.

glad to knpw its an easy changeover to the gte :d as for the steerin havent had a chance to look into it yet, may just replace it,, what year/model mustang has steering that can be swapped

I'm not for sure on that. There is a company that makes the mustang steering rack for the supra, but it has gotten mixed reviews.

Some people have even used the ge engine and just put a turbo on it. If you go this route, you will have to tune the car very well, or it's bye bye engine.

As for the hg concerns, people will tell you that a mhg is the best way to go, which it is, but you have to make sure that your block and head are completely level. This requires you taking your engine to a machine shop, pretty costly. an alternative to this is to buyARP head studs, use a stock hg, and torque the bolts down to proper specs. People run 14psi on the ct-26 daily with no issues.

1j is actually a decent alternative to the 7m, but don't call it better, especially on a supra board. The og's will rip your head off lol. If you want to go 1j, you will need an 89+crossmember since they did away with solid mounts after 88. The 2j is a whole different beast that I wouldnt mess with unless you are really good at fabrication and wiring.

supramania.com is a site that focuses soley on the 3rd gen supras. Hit that site up if you have any specific questions that need answering.

Last edited:
Back