Installed air intake now notice weird stuff

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

KidGusto

I just installed a K&N air intake model 63-1017 its a high performance aircharger...supposed to be for off roading but it fits my 94 civic ex coupe.

Problem is now I've noticed my idle is lower and not sure if vtech is kicking in...I cant hear it over the intake sucking in air.

Also I was never really sure if the vtech was ever kicking in cause I dont know what it was supposed to sound like and I have always had kind of crappy gas milage for a honda. After installing the intake it seems to be worse.

Its probably just from me slamming my foot on the pedal but still I should be seeing some improvments shouldnt I?

I've just been noticing a lot of weird things about my civic that I'm not sure if I should worry about or not. I feel like my gauges are lying to me sometimes. My gas gauge says I'm almost out of gas but when I pull into the gas station it goes up a 1/4 of the way. I notice it says its low on gas when I still have about 2 gallons left.

Sorry for the rambling but I would just like to be counsolued on all this stuff make sure I'm not going crazy.:eek:

ok

1) its vtec, and get ready to be ripped in to

2) Your idel is suppose to drop a little, this is because now with a less restictive air filter, the car does not need to work as hard to create a suction force to feed it enough air

3) intake systems are louder the less restrictive it is. Speacally if you dont have an after market exhaust system, which is where you will accually hear it.

nothing really
IHE just opens up the breathing of the engine... yes, you have hp/tq gains but it will only be as much as the cams, pistons, and stroke gives it.

getting P&P, cams, pistons, overbore, turbo,n2o, CR increase will let you see/feel the difference of having IHE or its equivilent

m2c

1. You never hear D-series VTEC, the exhaust note will get a bit more blatty (if you have an exhaust) , but nothing like DOHC VTEC.

2. Idle, and vtec have nothing to do with air restriction. VTEC not kicking in is likely in your imagination, and the loss of idle RPM is probably do to something else.

3.Whether or not you drive like an asshat does make a difference for gas mileage. Spend all day in VTEC and a 5000RPM, and you'll go through gas a lot faster. Shift often, and shift up, and stay in the lower rev range.

4. Honda gas tanks are smaller at the bottom, once you get to 1/4 a tank, the needle will move a good deal. angle of the car, accleration and speed all work to make the needle dance.
Just fill up more often.

Back