Installed Kubuntu 5.10

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Well I'm trying to start using linux as an OS more these days dso I set my laptop up as a dual boot system, so far I diggin it, automatically mounted my win xp ntfs partition (although it did have the wrong permissions set, no big deal changed that very easily) found my network without setting anything up, can see both of my desktop shares with no problems.

Just need to work on gettin my wireless card to work, reading the support forums it should be a cake walk.
The biggest problem I'm going to have it that all of "my documents" , mp3's etc are stored on my main desktop w/ 800Gb of space all partioned as ntfs, not a problem for reading files, but full write support for ntfs is a problem, so looks like I'll need to convert anything I want to share over to fat32.

for example I store all my email (I use thunderbird) on my main desktop which I can use to get my mail etc...
I have my laptop setup to look at the thunderbird mail share from my desktop, so I can d/l new mail, and see the same inbox from both computers, plus it makes backing everything up to my backup server easier. but this is all on an ntfs partition, so if I want to use thunderbird in linux I will be able to read my current email, but not be able to d/l new messages and have them written/stored on my windows desktop ntfs partition.

anyone have an idea on how to solve that one. I'd hate to switch back to ntfs as fat32 has some small filesize limitations as well as volumes, my 300GB and 400GB drives would be of use and I don't want a shit load of fat32 partitions. Also I have a lot of movies from my camcorder and they are all greater than 4GB in filesize,which fat32 cannot handle. So is there some alternative partition type that both windows and linux can read natively and live happily together ?? or is is as simple as samba being able to do this already?

Long story short, for cheking email, web browsing, creating docs etc... it's great. as far as integrating with a windows ntfs based system It's too early to judge.

man the more I use this the more I like it, so far I've got all of my hardware up and running except for my internal SD card reader, Kubuntu has really come a long way.

All I need is a good replacement for photoshop, and a good .wmv viewer/codecs

Back