Installed rods....crank is hard to turn.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1hawaiian

Installed some eagle rods and CP pistons in my b18c and when I set the torque on #2 and #4 rods the crank is hard to rotate. #1 and #3 are fine. It states to torque them to 43lbs. If I torque them to 20lbs no problem, but stock spec is 33lbs and eagle says take it to 43lbs. If anyone has suggestions pls let me know. This SUCKS BIGTIME.

no didnt gauge it, had the machine shop check my crank and micro polish it. The block was check for roundness of cylinders and honed. The shop also check for crank warp and align bored. Im using stock size b18c bearings...ACL race specs. Did use assembly lube (ARP). Ive built my LSVTEC, replace main and rod bearings, pistons, rods.........never ran into this though. Im sure it would have to be a clearance issue but the shop said everything was in spec. I was woundering if the eagle rods had to be installed a certain way. I put the marking on the rods facing the intake side.

I'd suggest taking it apart, double checking for debris and burrs.. Then plastigauging it..

Ive taken it apart about 5 times now....narrowed down to #2 and #4 rods. Tore down and inspected the crank and rods and bearings. Ima tear it apart and inspect again and then gauge it. Hopefully I find something, its driving me crazy!

Swapped rod caps and Fixed....gotta gauge it now to confirm

that's kinda a no-no. typically the rods and endcaps are fitted and then machined so that they are perfectly round when bolted together. This means that you need to keep them in pairs

if it was me I would take the rods and bearings to your machine shop and have them recon the rods. What they'll do is bolt them together and check the roundness and size. if they need to be machined, they will cut down the caps and remachine the big end

if you are using different bolts/torques than the rods originally came with, it could be causing a problem too. different torques can deform the rod ends so they are out of round. If you are using different bolts/torques then you need to have the rods reconed with those bolts/torque.

Back