Installing turbo this week,Exhaust Questions.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXSI91

ok...ive finally gathered all the parts i need to turbo :

(Setup : 1994 Integra RS...b18b)

Garrett T3/T4 50 trim
Drag Manifold
TiaL 38mm wastegate
STR fuel rail
Eclipse 450cc injectors
Oil feed/return line
Oil fittings
Uberdata 7psi Chipped ECU (PR4)
2.5'' Downpipe
blow off valve

The only things im missing is intercooler piping,and my exhaust...which im taking care of the Intercooler piping next week...but i have a question about my exhaust....now a little while ago Pissedoffsol told me that running my turbo setup on a stock exhaust system would not hurt the turbo/engine...but i wouldnt make power for shit....now i talked to someone else..and they said my stock exhaust system would put too much backpressure on the turbo/engine..and would be dangerous...now i plan on upgrading..but im trying to put it on now,and go back and change out everything,that way i know what i have to fix,and correct....does anyone know exactly what would happen (besides not making power for shit) if i boosted on stock exhaust?

if your going to redo it the right way later y not just run open downpipe and just leave the stock exhaust hanging or rip it out. thats what i would do if i had a doubt.

I would think that the more free flowing the exhaust the better. Start with a test pipe, and add more restriction til you get the volume you want. A turbo is a big freaking blockage in the exhaust so no need to concern yourself with needing sufficient back pressure. leaving everything stock will at the very worst, heat up red hot and burns something bad(fuel lines), I don't think you shuold have too much of a problem integras have a well thought out exhaust in the first place

Originally posted by PhyRe@Jul 14 2005, 05:36 PM
if your going to redo it the right way later y not just run open downpipe and just leave the stock exhaust hanging or rip it out. thats what i would do if i had a doubt.
[post=526300]Quoted post[/post]​

i thought about doing that for ONE split second..then i thought about virginia beach police..and how loud it would be..and didnt want to do it...i mean that would work for the time being...but i probably wouldnt be able to drive it too many places...but i heard open downpipe on turbo cars is quieter than N/A

Originally posted by jimboburgess@Jul 14 2005, 05:40 PM
I would think that the more free flowing the exhaust the better. Start with a test pipe, and add more restriction til you get the volume you want. A turbo is a big freaking blockage in the exhaust so no need to concern yourself with needing sufficient back pressure. leaving everything stock will at the very worst, heat up red hot and burns something bad(fuel lines), I don't think you shuold have too much of a problem integras have a well thought out exhaust in the first place
[post=526302]Quoted post[/post]​

yea i know...i was gonna run 2.5'' downpipe to a 3'' exhaust..but right now...its more like a test and tune type of deal..where i tune the car to run reliable..then when it is running reliable..instead of trying to haul ass and punch it all the time..go back and upgrade....like : better intake manifold,bigger exhaust,Exhaust wrap,clutch,flywheel,Tires,LSD...etc.

cus theres no way..ima let my setup sit in my room, for a year..buy all the shit first..and then throw it all on at the same time...

see..i just checked out evans-tuning.com..and they said the same thing Pissedoffsol said :

LINK

that 3" exhaust is a "enhancement" not a "necessity"

just go with a 2.25 exh. Make sure there is as little bends as possible. If your going to turbo you want a free flowing exh no if ands or buts about it. you can keep your stock but turbo lag is gonna be your best friend till you get a bigget pipe! And Fuck the police if they pull you over for noise tell them that a harley is louder then your car and tell them to piss off!

exhaust is a "enhancement" not a "necessity"

I'd believe it, I say not worry about it. The difference between what you have now and what you have is probably not as different as some people think, considering gains from a stock exhaust to a test pipe are around 20 hp or so depending on the engine. Maybe. . .

Originally posted by drpenguin@Jul 14 2005, 05:52 PM
just go with a 2.25 exh. Make sure there is as little bends as possible. If your going to turbo you want a free flowing exh no if ands or buts about it. you can keep your stock but turbo lag is gonna be your best friend till you get a bigget pipe! And Fuck the police if they pull you over for noise tell them that a harley is louder then your car and tell them to piss off!
[post=526309]Quoted post[/post]​

well,they will probably charge me about 160 to 170 at the muffler shop to do 2.25'' piping..cus ive done it twice before in my crx's...and i dont know if i'll have that much money tommorow...ill try to get 2 and a quarter though....

Originally posted by jimboburgess@Jul 14 2005, 05:55 PM
exhaust is a "enhancement" not a "necessity"

I'd believe it, I say not worry about it. The difference between what you have now and what you have is probably not as different as some people think, considering gains from a stock exhaust to a test pipe are around 20 hp or so depending on the engine. Maybe. . .
[post=526311]Quoted post[/post]​

see thats what im thinking also..and plus..i mean 95% of the time,pissedoffsol is right about what he says...and if he told me that my stock exhaust wouldnt hurt anything but my power..im gonna tend to believe him...

the other thing i want to tell you guys is..im gonna be boosting 6psi...NO HIGHER..im just trying to feel a little bit of boost...im not gonna be racing it until i upgrade my radiator and etc....which is why i trying to leave the exhaust stock for now...i could understand if i were trying to boost 15 psi on a t3/t4 and race it on the track every week..but 6psi,just normal driving (and getting on it from time to time of course)..i think my exhaust/motor can handle it...

Bump...for more opinions. :worthy: :worthy:

Yeah, you're fine then.

when it comes down to it it seems like it is a good idea to at least match the pipe size to what size the turbo has on it's exhaust, i like the idea of stepping up the pipe a little so you can have more air flow through mufflers and cats. i.e. a 2 1/2" inch muffler has more flow than a 2 1/4''

Originally posted by 9sech22civic+Jul 16 2005, 07:55 PM-->
@Jul 15 2005, 04:09 PM
open downpipe OWNS.
[post=526912]Quoted post[/post]​

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1310381

There is your solution.
[post=527358]Quoted post[/post]​

ok..so i get the test pipe..and bolt it up to my turbo downpipe....are u telling me to run just a downpipe,and a test pipe? or are u telling me to bolt that test pipe up to my exhaust?

hes saying bolt teh test pipe to your exhaust. it wont do shit if tehre isnt an exhaust hooked up to it.

I didnt do a test pipe. I just made my DP long enough to meet up with my exhaust. problem solved.

Originally posted by B16CRX@Jul 17 2005, 11:58 AM
hes saying bolt teh test pipe to your exhaust. it wont do shit if tehre isnt an exhaust hooked up to it.

I didnt do a test pipe. I just made my DP long enough to meet up with my exhaust. problem solved.
[post=527511]Quoted post[/post]​

nevermind...i found the solution..thanks guys.

Back