Installing Valve Springs???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

csblack

I am trying to install new valve springs on a b18 type R head. I have a valve spring compressor but as you might know, it won't fit! Is there anyone out there that has already done this and knows some trick or has created some tool to do this? I will take any help cause I am getting tired of trying the same thing. Thanks.

Yes you are correct I bought the second one you have listed there, and it worked for getting the old springs out but won't compress the new ones enough. I have seen that other one but I was trying to see if anyone had come up with any other cheaper way to do it, cause its hardly worth buying that one for only one motor. but thank you for your help.

For pulling and installing valve springs I used an old 13/16 socket and cut a window in the side of it. Then using a valve spring compressor "C" clamp I put the socket on the spring and compress it with the clamp. It works great and its cheap...

If you dont want to buy any tools why dont you just have a valve job done on your head and have them install the new springs and retainers. Valve jobs are very inexpensive and I have never taken apart a dohc vtec head that couldnt use one!! Why not have the freshest head possible if you already are investing the time to take it off, or if your putting a engine together why the hell wouldnt you have one done. Thats like shitting and not wipping your ass!! Replace those valve stem seals with some OEM Honda ones while your at it.

It actually already has a valve job as well as a port and polish job, but I bought if off a person not from a store, so I took it all apart first to make sure everything was lagit and to clean things up from the small amount of use that it did go though since all the machining was done. So now I am trying to re-install everything.

Oh, I see. Well then I dont know, if you were local I would let you borrow mine? Otherwise you will have to buy something or maybe pay a machine shop a few bucks to put it back together for you.

NO TOOL beats the IB tool...

springtool.jpg

Back