installing vtec on d16y8 with d16y7 stock wire harness

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jaeinguito

i just swapped my d16y7 out of my 98 civic dx non-vtec. i swapped a d16y8 vtec engine and i still only have the d16y7 harness and the ecu. im planning on changing the ecu to p28 and converting it to a manual transmission. the only problem is that i dont have the wires for vtec on my stock d16y7 harness. i want to wire the vtec to get all the power out of my y8 but my dad doesnt want me to buy a new harness. is there a way i can wire vtec without any vtec wires in my y7 harness. my vtec solenoid wire is just hanging there it is the female head but i dont have a male head on my d16y7 wire harness. can someone help and give me details on how to wire vtec without buying a new wire harness or connections? is it possible to wire the vtec without the male connection? i will have pictures up when i get a chance. thnx

Did the y8 come out of an automatic ex or 5 spd? if it came out of a 5spd you need to convert your throttle pulley to one off a ex throttle body, seeing you have an auto and a dx you need to run a 2 wire IACV if you want to run a p28 or 5spd d16y8 ecu, until you get either a p28 ecu or 5spd ex ecu you must stay with the 3 wire IACV. If your running an auto ex ecu until you get the 5spd tranny ignore the IACV write up for how to convert to a 2 wire until you get a 5 spd ex ecu or convert to obd1 and run a p28, but the white chart at the bottom of this write up says where to wire int he vtec at into your ecu plugs. ***D16 Mini Me Swap Write Up*** - JDM Universe.com

Thnx for the help. In looking for a p28 ecu and I'm getting the 2 wire iacv from eBay this week. The car is running fine but it has no power! I can't go past 60 on the freeway going up hill. And it won't shift down if I press on the gas more. I'm going to convert it to a manual transmission. I have a 2008 ex d16y8 engine on my 98 civic dx. With the d16y7 wireharness, tranny and ecu. The only thing I replaced was the engine. It had idleing problems. It used to rev too high around 1500 rpm. But we cleaned the sensor and it stopped idleing so high. I just need the p28 ecu and the 2 wire iacv plug is in the mail. And im going to wire the vtec to the vtec solenoid. But I don't have the other end of the vtec plug

wait wait wait, before you order shit, you need to have a 5spd ex intake manifold and or a intake manifold off a 1992-1995, the manifold you have no if it is off a stock y8 off a auto or a y7 it doesnt have the port to put a 2 wire IACV. and a 2008 y8? they stopped at 2000. You still need the conversion harness from obd2a to obd1, man you need to do research before you jump into this, your gonna be without this car for awhile man. you got alot to do in order for it to run right.

yea sorry i posted the last responce on my iphone it corrected my 2000 to 2008. its a 2000 ex d16y8. the car is running. i just need to connect the vtec. im going to try what u sent me in the last responce on the jdmuniverse website to wire the vtec. thnx for all your help

I have a 98 Honda civic dx did a swap from d16y7 non vetch to a d16y8 vtech it rides pretty decent and the harness works expect for my knock sensor and vetch is there any way to get my vetch to work for the extra power without a huge hassle is there someone that can help maybe theres a plug and play box or smtn plz help thx in advance

Back