Insurance Claim

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thiebert

So i got side swiped by this big truck the other day when i was in a right turn lane and then the guy took off. My driver side door got fucked. barely opens and it has tire marks all over it. Question is has anybody ever heard about somebody getting there whole car painted from just a little car accident like this. I heard you can get it done but i was just wondering how i can find someone to do it. thx guys

If your passenger door needs to be replaced odds are they are going to blend the quarter and fender also, just talk it over with the adjuster and you might be able to get a deal on the rest of the work

Originally posted by swanny@Nov 27 2004, 09:08 PM
If your passenger door needs to be replaced odds are they are going to blend the quarter and fender also, just talk it over with the adjuster and you might be able to get a deal on the rest of the work
[post=423023]Quoted post[/post]​

Or go to the most overpriced place to got a quote and then go to a cheaper place to use that money to pay for most if not all of the repair/paint.

Originally posted by Blanco@Nov 28 2004, 04:09 PM
Don't most insurance companies require three estimates?
[post=423293]Quoted post[/post]​

Depends on the company, depends on the shop you go to, depends on the cost, depends on a lot of things.

Most insurance companies want you to take the care to a shop that will give them a discount. I got a quote on my hit and run from a local shop and they sent the estimate to the company, the company cut out 10% discount that the local shop gives them in the check they wrote me, compared to the estimate of the cost of repair.

If theres prior damage to a car, they'll require an adjuster to look at it, at whatever shop he's at.

If it's a hit and run and you didn't get the other guy's information and a witness, it's going to be all paid for by your insurance company. Don't try to screw them on it.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 28 2004, 04:31 PM
If it's a hit and run and you didn't get the other guy's information and a witness, it's going to be all paid for by your insurance company. Don't try to screw them on it.
[post=423311]Quoted post[/post]​

If you didnt get their info and you don't have full coverage, its going to be coming from your pocket...

edit* errrr....comprehensive may cover it too, I know it covers accidental stuff like broken windshields and deer accidents, but its normally the driver's responsibility to get the other driver's information.

If you have just liability then I dont think they'll cover any kind of damage to your car.

1) you can't get your whole car painted when the damage is isolated to one part. You'll get a new door. let me re-phrase that. you'll get a door that fits & is of like kind & quality. That door will be painted to match the color of the rest of the car and the paint will be blended on the front fender & rear door or qtr-panel.

2) Insurance companies to not get rebates from body shops. That's illegal. We have fired lots of adjusters for accepting "rebates" from body shops. Most large insurance companies offer the person with the damage an incentive for choosing a body shop that is reputable AND reasonably priced. State Farm just started giving the person a lifetime guarantee on the parts & workmanship. My company has been doing that for 15+ years.

If you do not want to use the prefered shop then the adjuster that works for the company has a laptop that does the estimate. They write a check based on that estimate and don't give a damn what you actually pay for the repairs that are listed on their estimate. So don't go whining that the dealer is charging more than their estimate. Unless there are new parts, they do not care.

If you live in the sticks or the insurance company is small, then you get competetive estimates and they choose which one to pay.

If you want to get your entire car painted, talk to the body shop once you've gotten the estimate. Let 'em know you want to use their shop & see what kinda deal you can work out. My son scratched his name on the rear of my Expedition. When it was hit in the right front corner I asked and got the entire rear panel painted a no additional charge.

3) if you have uninsured motorist property damage and/or collision coverage you can file a claim. The rules that define an uninsured motorist vary by state. Since you have contact damage you should not have a problem in most states. I hope you filed a police report. Most states require "timely notification" to the "proper authorities" when a loss involves a hit-n-run.

Let me know where you're from & I'll tell you the rules for filing a UMPD claim for your state.

4) comprehensive coverage NEVER pays for damage caused by collision or upset by another vehicle.

Back