Insurance question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mdlax1

Ok so im hoping the feedback i get from this will carry over to my state (maryland) so jeffie if you have something on this, it'd be sweet.

Ok so im becoming more and more finicialy stable and my SUV is a gas hog and the civic needs to not have the miles she's being subjected to. So im getting a new car aside from the beast and the fat bitch.

My question is my jeep and my new car will be my primary vehicles.. now i've heard you can get like weekend only type insurance or some shit.. basically i want to just put some time and effort into my civic which i've been lacking but she wont get out much just because of normal life stuff. Anyone know a type of insurance plan or something i can do to keep it insured for when i want to get get into it on a saturday night and not pay full rates? Im with progressive and currently they've worn my ass red, and im getting tired of paying the rates im paying. So any feedback would be sweet.

I dont really wanna take the car off insurance and take the tags off i'd rather pay 100 bucks a month to be able to drive it let me know

I think you're going to find your shit out of luck, the only way to really insure a car for part time use is if the vehicle is registered as a classic, which in CT is 25years or older. The only thing you can do to reduce your insurance is to carry the minimum liabilty insurance required by your state. Which is fine if you don't own a home.

then when you buy a new home your going to want to have insurance limits of 100/300 , which doesn't really raise your rates that much.

for example, my current insurance which expires on Sept 27th is a 50/100 policy with three vehicles, 03 Civic (full coverage), 91 CRX (liability,fire,theft,glass), 88 Chevy 1500 (liability,fire,theft,glass). 6 mo policy is $1410.

Now the new policy I just got that will start on the 27th is a 100/300 policy with three vehicles. 03 Civic (full coverage including roadside assistance and rental), 91 CRX (liability,fire,theft,glass and rental), 88 Chevy 1500 (liability,fire,theft,glass and rental). 6 mo policy is $1488

keep in mind these rates are also with my wifes not to great driving record
but as you can see it's only about $78 more for better insurance coverage

Unfortunately, you are not going to find what you're looking for from any of the companies you've heard of and I'm not sure you'd want coverage from the companies willing to provide that type of policy.

Your only real option is to find an agent that is willing to work with you. If you give the agent all your other business (home/auto/life) ask if he'll write a dateless binder for the Honda. You have auto insurance for 30 days per the binder but there is no date to start the 30 days. If you ever need the coverage, call the agent and, viola, you have coverage.

Now, some people feel this is up to the line of fraud. To others, its over the line.

End the end, its up to you and your agent.

Dude it all depends... I'm 21 and if I added your civic to my policy on top of having my 350Z my rates would go up MAYBE 50-100 bucks for full coverage

why is that?

becuase you can only drive ONE car at a time!

You just need to shop around for insurance

Insurance is the most PITA thing EVER when it comes to shoping around becuase its not something you will save 20-50 bucks a month in my case I was quoted 1000 every 6 months up to 6000 depending on what company that is WITH a clean record

Just call up my agent at 410-956-3900 tell them Jeff Northam from Ledo Pizza with the 350Z and bike sent you from the internet.

chances are they wont charge you a lot for the extra car/s like I said you can only drive one of them at a time so the risk of you hurting someone is no higher then if you only had 1 car unless the car you add is a 350Z, Vette, Viper, Supra.... =)

I think the main thing that will factor into the insruance is the year of your new car chances are they will make the newest car your main car and charge you the lower rates on the rest.

why is that?

becuase you can only drive ONE car at a time

mmmmm...no. The insurance company doesn't know which car you're driving so they charge you as if you are driving both every day.

You do get a multi-car discount at some companies.

That said, Agents can do whatever they want to as long as the company doesn't find out.

Originally posted by ahedau@Sep 16 2004, 07:17 PM
why is that?

becuase you can only drive ONE car at a time

mmmmm...no. The insurance company doesn't know which car you're driving so they charge you as if you are driving both every day.

You do get a multi-car discount at some companies.

That said, Agents can do whatever they want to as long as the company doesn't find out.
[post=391285]Quoted post[/post]​

It doesnt matter what car you're driving you can only crash ONE at a time

I'm sure depending on what company you go with the prices jump around A LOT for a 2nd car but in my case its rather cheap

once again becuase I can only drive ONE car at a time if I'm driving one the other one cant be wrecked

Why do I know this? Becuase I got quotes from my company on a 2nd car...

guys i kinda figured out my situation.. the civic and the new car gets titled in my fiances' name and under her insurance.. she's in the navy as an intel officer.. navy has their own non profit insurance agency (usaa) anyone that drives her car at anytime is fully insured. So all three cars will cost 128 bucks a month.

my current rate is 488 bucks a month. for one civic. I think i made the right choice. (btw, prenup is already in place for my car.. so if shit goes bad i get it back lol )

navy has their own non profit insurance agency (usaa)
USAA is a very much FOR-profit mutual insurer (means the policyhoders are the actual owners of the company and can be paid dividends) not the Navy's non-profit company.

As a matter of fact, one of the founders of USAA went on the start his own company. He named it Government Employees Insurance Company because you had to be employed by the Federal Government to apply. You know it today as GEICO.

Unlike GEICO who opened their books in the 1970's, USAA still requires that you be an officer in the US Armed Forces to apply for their lowest rates (okay, technically you can "spin-off" as the child of an officer that is already a USAA policyholder). In 1995 (or close to then) they opened up membership to enlisted folks too but at higher rates. They routinely rank near the top in customer satisfaction in all areas & I consider them a company that I would be proud to work for. Unlike some others that I won't name because I'm not sure I'd be in "good hands"

if I'm driving one the other one cant be wrecked
that logic is still wrong. Close but wrong.
The lower rate is a combination of a multi-car discount AND a usage discount. It has NOTHING to do with you only driving one car at a time. Trust me. It has to do with whch car you drive to and from work primarily. That car usually has the highest rates.

However, if you have comp and collision on one car and liability only on a beater but drive the beater everyday, expect to be charged the higher rates on the car with the highest base rate; the one with "full coverage". That's where the greater risk lies.

Back