insurance thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What turned me onto state farm.. A friend of mine was goofing off at work on some ice. He slid and hit my truck on accident.. did some pretty good damage to the front bumper, and put a tiny scratch on one fender. He gave me his insurance information (State Farm) and I called them up. They told me "pick a body shop to do the work and bring us the estimate" Not, "go get eleven estimates and we'll pay you the cheapest rate". They even offered to do it for me, but I'm thinking "yeah, right".. So I get the estimate, bring it to them, and they cut me a check and gave me a local number and address where I could pick up my rental car. Again, didn't even ask if I wanted one. I told them that the shop wouldn't be able to get to my truck for another two weeks. They didn't care at all and picked up the full rental tab anyway. So they took care of me amazingly well, didn't hassle me, no bullshit (ever been hit by someone with geico? lol) and I wasn't even a customer at the time.

Been with them ever since.

See, even that isn't as good as progressive.

I brought my car where i wanted it to go (a buddies body shop). I told progressive where it was. they had an adjuster out the next day, no questions asked. no estimates, no BS.

Well I've been using AAA for quite a few years now, and i've been happy with them. Although I haven't had to make a claim in about 10 years or so. But the rates are good, and they give group discounts if you belong to a credit union or certain banks as well. I would think it's gonna be tough for you to beat that rate from Geico though, that seems really cheap. Iguess you'll just have to find a balance between a cheap rate and good service, if that's what your concern is. I think at one time Geico insisted you have all your vehicles inspected prior to starting a policy, although that was through a friend of a friend, so not sure.

Something for people to keep in mind, like B said, is all these guys are in business to make money. Any of them will be your "friend" as long as they have your business.

i put a quote in to aaa yesterday. appearently i blotched the form on my birthdate.

You have 7 free Vonage Visual Voicemail transcription(s) left in your trial.
"Good morning, Brian. This is Jillian over at AAA Insurance, calling regarding the internet quote you had sent over to us regarding your 3 cars. Actually trying to work on the rate, shown on your date of birth is incorrect. It's saying 5/2/19. If you would, please give me a call back at xxxxxxxxxxx. And let me know what your correct date of birth is. And I'll be happy to complete the quote. Thank you. Have a great day. "
--- Brought to you by Vonage ---
have i mentioned i love vonage? :)

Last edited:
what, they don't believe you are 90 years old driving an M3?

heh, i guess not.

probably they compare the 'how many years have you had your license" to the birthday.

i've had geico at least 6 yrs. no claims. like injen says, if u forget a payment (which they mail mere days before its due) they send a drop letter, errrr. also lame w/ not letting u switch car insurnace on and off certain vehicles if you have multiple coverage and liability only, tho i'm sure more companies are like that too.

I've had State Farm since I've started driving 3 1/2 years ago, I've been in two wrecks and I have 3 tickets (2 from the wrecks one speeding) and their claim service is top notch, the first wreck I was in I called them up and told them I had been in the wreck, THEY called the police officer and THEY paid for towing to the collision shop of my choice and they even gave me a free rental car for a month, and I dont even have that option on my insurance, I have a 500 dollar deductable and full coverage - rental car on my accord and have never had a problem with state farm at all. And even with all of that on my record im still only paying 187.32 a month by myself, im not on my parents insurance

well, 187/month is far more than i'm willing to spend.... because i have 3 cars. so, that comes out to like 500 a month. granted, your rate will be diffeerent than mine, but still.. i was only paying 80 when i was your age.

but then again, 80 then is probably close to 180 in today's obama currency

but thats also for a 19 year old with 2 wrecks and 3 tickets, when I started out my full coverage was 60 something a month

Holy shit $600 a month? Full coverage I'm hoping?

Yes thats with full coverage and a bad record of speeding tickets.
Been doing better lately, dont say anything smart ass Hoody-Hood-Hood Matt!
I really think that I am going to try and look into State Farm and see if they will pick me up. I think that they raised my insurance the extra $100 is because they know that companies don't want to pick me up since my ticketed past. Sadly I have to pay $105 every January to renew my license since they started that stupid point system.

Screw Liberty Mutual! I had them for about a month on my other car and I went through a lady that use to come into our dealership and sell insurance on Saturdays to purchasing customers. I reviewed my policy after she had given me an awesome quote and the way that she got it was by all kinds of fraudulent information. She had put down that I was a 40yr old woman with no tickets, etc....

Another question... the Tyrese/Seal wannabe that hit my car has USAA, he's a 21 year old (who was trying to park in front of a club) apparently military. Anyone had trouble with this insurance company or any kind of issues?
I talked to my insurance adjuster and he said that I can take my car wherever I want to get it estimated and repaired.
Trick is... Should I hold off until I hear from his insurance adjuster and wait for USAA to fix my car (who knows how long this will take) or should I let my insurance (Progressive) handle everything and go ahead and get my rental car and have USAA reimburse my insurance company and myself if I have to pay my deductible before they finalize it or whatever they have to do?
:confused:

I wonder if USAA is part of the bailout?

I would think it would be worth it to see what his adjuster has to say though. Any money Progressive doesn't have to shell out is gonna be better for you and your premium. IMO

dont say anything smart ass Hoody-Hood-Hood Matt!

Me, say something smart-ass? NEVER! hahahah but seriously if the car is drivable wait for them to fix it, because its one hell of a hassle to has another insurance company reimburse your insurance...

Another question... the Tyrese/Seal wannabe that hit my car has USAA, he's a 21 year old (who was trying to park in front of a club) apparently military. Anyone had trouble with this insurance company or any kind of issues?
I talked to my insurance adjuster and he said that I can take my car wherever I want to get it estimated and repaired.
Trick is... Should I hold off until I hear from his insurance adjuster and wait for USAA to fix my car (who knows how long this will take) or should I let my insurance (Progressive) handle everything and go ahead and get my rental car and have USAA reimburse my insurance company and myself if I have to pay my deductible before they finalize it or whatever they have to do?
:confused:

I've never had problems with USAA, but then again, they've been on my side.

B... try Travelers insurance. Pretty big name, and the one claim I processed with them was hassle free and painless. Provided me a no questions asked rental and autopay is a good feature :) You say even more.

I have used allstate, progressive and geico
never had to file a claim though

I switch between progressive and geico every few years because one will have the better rate over the other. The last time I changed from progressive it was because they would not allow me to drop a car from my insurance that I would not have plates on. I take my minitruck off for the winter and put the 4wd on, but they told me I could not drop a vehicle unless I sold it. So I hung up and called back 5 minutes later and told them I sold the vehicle, I want to switch. Yea, they had a note of my earlier call and said " You sold a car in 5 minutes?" so I said yes, to a friend. Then I said hypothetically what happens if I didn't sell it, "we have the right to not pay on any claim". Ok, cancelled.
Geico sends me my insurance cards with the next days day everytime I change vehicles (which I do alot) and every time they fix the problem and email me new cards within 15 minutes. I like using their website, and good customer service. But none of this helps you since I never had to file a claim.

Back