Intake/Exhaust Camshaft.. Huh?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BseriesBeast

I just purchased a gsr cyclinder head with fairly low miles on it but it doesnt come with cam gears or camshafts and I don't wanna throw on the ones from my old gsr head (with 230k miles) onto it.

I wanted to purchase itr camshafts but I noticed advertised is exhaust and intake and I was stumped. Can someone please explain the difference (if there is one) and which one is more appropriate for my needs.

^_^ Thanks.

they are different in the fact that one has teeth for the distributor (intake cam) and the other does not. also be sure to google pics on itr cams so you can know how to properly identify them (theres rings around the distributor teeth to let you know exactly what they are from) good luck

I just purchased a gsr cyclinder head with fairly low miles on it but it doesnt come with cam gears or camshafts and I don't wanna throw on the ones from my old gsr head (with 230k miles) onto it.

I wanted to purchase itr camshafts but I noticed advertised is exhaust and intake and I was stumped. Can someone please explain the difference (if there is one) and which one is more appropriate for my needs.

^_^ Thanks.

You need one of both, one for the INTAKE side of your motor, and one for the EXHAUST side of your motor. Make sense?

Ahhh.. makes sense now. Thanks fellas. Any suggestions for cam gears brands? I was thinking of going Toda (not vtec killers). I'm also gonna get some bearings and type r pistons and rods for the block. Will that pretty much put my motor in tiptop shape?

Sorry to jump topics just wanna make sure everything is done right the first time.

Ahhh.. makes sense now. Thanks fellas. Any suggestions for cam gears brands? I was thinking of going Toda (not vtec killers). I'm also gonna get some bearings and type r pistons and rods for the block. Will that pretty much put my motor in tiptop shape?

Sorry to jump topics just wanna make sure everything is done right the first time.

Cam gears really arent going to do anything except look better than stock unless you plan on extensive tuning and you want to advance/retard your cam timing. Just paint the stockers.

Cam gears really arent going to do anything except look better than stock unless you plan on extensive tuning and you want to advance/retard your cam timing. Just paint the stockers.

I do plan on getting it professionally tuned, right after I finish the rebuild :mellow: since I changed my mind about boost and wanna do an N/A build. Thanks for the advice though ^_^

I do plan on getting it professionally tuned, right after I finish the rebuild :mellow: since I changed my mind about boost and wanna do an N/A build. Thanks for the advice though ^_^

In that case, yes it would be a good idea to get a set.

There's no point in putting stock cam gears on aftermarket cams.

I actually found out that the head includes camshafts but it was still good to know that there was a significant difference. The cams included are stock gsr cams that came with the original motor so I'm just going to keep them.

Back