Intake experiment

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRAZYEG9

http://www.passwordjdm.com/product.asp?num...hFor=&PT_ID=365
Does anyone know a where I can get an Intake with this type of style from cause I want to try an experiment with an intake shaped like this. It cost to much at passwordjdm so all I need is a cheap site or place to get one then slap a K&N filter on it. I don't care if it's like an ebay cheap one, as long as it has this shape. Thankyou

Can someone give me a link cause I already check ebay and I was unsuccesfull. Also what do you think about the performance of this intake cause I have a non type R skinny AEM Cold air intake on my B20 and when I first did the swap running from the throttle body it had way more power, so I'm guessing the thin piping is hurting HP & tq. Also don't suggest Type R style cause it cost too much even used(I'd never buy a brand new AEM, there 2 much).

Did you dyno it before and after or something?

some aem intakes have been tuned as far as the piping size goes for certain ratios, due to if you just slapped a big ass intaked on there then ofcourse it will breathe better but you will also lean out some, the aem's are made for pretty close to the right size air flow. ive been told this by a couple different speed shops. because i just put two 3" 90's on mine and before i did any fuel work it was running leaner than normal.

I thought that iceman (if they are still in business) had their intakes shaped simular to that carbon fiber one.

Originally posted by n1mr0d@May 1 2005, 11:57 PM
I thought that iceman (if they are still in business) had their intakes shaped simular to that carbon fiber one.
[post=493847]Quoted post[/post]​

i was going to say i thought i saw those in non-carbon fiber. but i love my carbon fiber comp tech with a suprisingly good cheap ass ebay filter.
some aem intakes have been tuned as far as the piping size goes for certain ratios, due to if you just slapped a big ass intaked on there then ofcourse it will breathe better but you will also lean out some, the aem's are made for pretty close to the right size air flow. ive been told this by a couple different speed shops. because i just put two 3" 90's on mine and before i did any fuel work it was running leaner than normal.

i think mine is running a little lean because its huge, but it sounds amazing.

You can get carbon fiber fabric woven in a tube shape on ebay for pretty cheap. Get some of that and make one. Theres even a link with good tips on shaping it.

Can these differences in sizes cause the engine to run dangerously lean-(blow your engine type lean), or just a little. Also I didn't dyno but when I did my swap I was running an open header with no intake, just throttle body. I was then spinning my GSR tranny in 1st and 2nd at will like I had turbo or some shit. When I went to buy the intake and put it in I wasn't spinning as easily. I felt a big difference.

I dont think that an intake can lean out your engine enough to cause any problems.

Originally posted by Canuck 93 Civic Si@May 2 2005, 01:31 AM
You can get carbon fiber fabric woven in a tube shape on ebay for pretty cheap. Get some of that and make one. Theres even a link with good tips on shaping it.
[post=493899]Quoted post[/post]​

Send me the links. Thankyou. I ain't find shit on ebay either, and whats good about carbon fiber. It doesn't get hot easily?

Originally posted by CRAZYEG9+May 1 2005, 11:40 PM-->
Canuck 93 Civic Si
@May 2 2005, 01:31 AM
You can get carbon fiber fabric woven in a tube shape on ebay for pretty cheap.  Get some of that and make one.  Theres even a link with good tips on shaping it.
[post=493899]Quoted post[/post]​

Send me the links. Thankyou. I ain't find shit on ebay either, and whats good about carbon fiber. It doesn't get hot easily?
[post=493902]Quoted post[/post]​

It pretty much just looks cool, and is a lot lighter than aluminum. It is a bit better insulator than aluminum too, but most people just get it for the blingage.

Originally posted by HollowJDM@May 2 2005, 04:55 AM
[post=493844]Quoted post[/post]​

Ratios of what? The throttle body and IM have more to do with it than the intake pipe. Obviously a larger pipe is going to allow more air that the OEM box restricted, but by placing one on there isn't going to make your engine swallow more than it can. I have seen MANY intake put on with no leaning of fuel. Air velocity is more important, that's what's with the shape of the whale penis intake, it creates a better velocity.

If you are going to gain any power from an intake, it will have to lean it out some. Why? The point of an intake is to get more oxygen to flow into the engine right? Better velocity = more air going into the engine. That's what creates power. However, the more oxygen you get in there, the lower your A/F ratios will be. Your ECU does not magically add more fuel when you get an intake, so yes, if there is ANY power gain, you will run a little lean. However, this is not dangerous, and you shouldn't worry about it.

But actually yes, your o2 sensor does in fact tell your ECU that there is more o2 passing it, and it adjust fuel accordingly, not magic, electronics. Of course, this is only to a point, but an intake comes no where near that point.

holy crap
we are talking about naturally aspirated engines here
they will only take in as much air as they can suck in
an intake is in no way like a turbo or supercharger that force air into the engine
you can run open throttle body if you really wanted to without the engine getting any more air than the engine wants to take in
a smaller more restrictive intake or filter can make them suck in less air
even with the cone that iceman was selling for a while, it still didnt create positive pressure

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@May 2 2005, 08:37 AM
If you are going to gain any power from an intake, it will have to lean it out some.  Why?  The point of an intake is to get more oxygen to flow into the engine right?  Better velocity = more air going into the engine.  That's what creates power.  However, the more oxygen you get in there, the lower your A/F ratios will be.  Your ECU does not magically add more fuel when you get an intake, so yes, if there is ANY power gain, you will run a little lean.  However, this is not dangerous, and you shouldn't worry about it.
[post=493978]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow. That was so wrong in so many ways. Actually, velocity is not always good. Pressure is what is good, dynamic pressure is directly affected by velocity, but too high a velocity entering the throttle body creates turbulence in the plenum, resulting in uneven pressure distribution to each of the runners. You want velocity low, but dynamic pressure to be high. Air density is the other contributor to dynamic pressure, and that is where CAIs come in handy.

Edit: As stated before, yes, your motor will add more fuel to the air if you are running in closed loop, but if you are in open loop, you might run a little lean on stock maps. This is, of course, why we have rom editors. :)

that password jdm intake looks cool, makes me wanna buy one o_O

right now i have a greddy/airinix gracer for a tt supra jerry-rigged on my sol heh :)

Back