intake mani fabrication

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

o this is what i know companys spend many hours designing intakes to make power and i want to try to do this in my garage yada yada.

i have access to lots of alum stock a tig welder lathe and a mill this is what i want o know i know that i can make my own injector bungs, head flange, throtlebody adapter, iacv mount, fuel rail bracket, velocity stack for runners, and the other stuff i need. ok questions i have this will be going on a b20 with a 100shot gude/bullfrog head and true jdm type r header. i know i need more compression and pistons and rods are not cheep so it will stay this way till next winter or this fall i hope.

ok

1. i have plenty of torque i was thinking that i would want short fat runners? for hp

2. big plenium or small for higher hp and less tq i will probaly only rev this thing to 8k at the most.

3. how far up the runner do i want the injector and do i want my n2o jets b4 or after the injectors in the runner.

4. am i just stupid and should not even consider this. i will be tuning with hondata posiably chrome if budget dosent allow hondata

did you post this on HT...you WONT get much here...i would try and build ITB instead of a IM

no i never go to ht i hate that site i would do itbs but i dont want to and like i said /\ there every thing but gas and electricty for the welder are free im thinking of using a 75mm mustang throtle body also because i have one laying around.

honestly its pretty apparent you have no clue what you are doing. theres a lot that goes into making a manifold, theres no easy guidlines for building something like an intake manifold. you will more then likely lose hp with whatever you make. just buy one like a skunk2 or something. im not trying to be a dick, but its the honest truth.

werd...and in ht there are alot of people that do that for a living.... ive found lots of threads about your topic...check it out...

in this article on hmt they use an old manifold, some metal, and a port and polish kit to make a pretty sweet looking manifold. Check it out i would think this would be an ok place to start with a DIY mani.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
in this article on hmt they use an old manifold, some metal, and a port and polish kit to make a pretty sweet looking manifold. Check it out i would think this would be an ok place to start with a DIY mani.

That makes me want to build a turbo...not a twin though. That guy spent next to nothing on his build.
yea he says he did it just to do it. however he said it spooled fast as hell. i cant wait for the summer so i can get a real job and afford a turbo setup.

if you would have read the post jackass you would have notice that i said that i know that lots of enginering and design go into making thing like this that make hp what i was asking is general things about runner and plenum size i was asking because im wanting to try it if it dosent work i put my old one back in

my progress so far are i have milled out the head flange and the T/B flange and started making my velocity stacks that go in the plenum

and thats why i said theres no easy guidlines. go read a fluid dynamics book and you will see that LOTS of things affect air flow. then realize how much of an odd shape an intake manifold is. hell im IN a fluid mechanics class and its rediculously hard, we only deal with easy shapes, straight pipes, etc now, i dont even wanna think how complicated stuff will be with some the shape of a intake mani. if there were easy guidlines you could follow, everyone and their brother would be making them. im trying to help you out, and honestly you are better off not even trying.

and calling people a jackass isnt going to get them to open the vault and hand you blueprints to the perfect manifold. were just telling you what we know and offering suggestions. if you really are set on doing a full fab up then go read a few books, build the thing, and tell us how it goes.

Quoted post[/post]]
:werd:

If you're dead set on trying in, do the research and git r dun. Just make sure you get it flow benched so you can see exactly how much horsepower you lose.

haha, git r dun.

CFD is where it is at in design problems like this. Not that you would know anything about that though.

haha... that comment was meant for 97hatch. I wouldn't expect you to be into CFD, you buy parts, you don't fabricate them, lol.

ok well i guess i will try it and see and guess what i actually have a copy of fluents flowizard and ive been playing with it so im not just welding shit together and getn r done im puting thought into this and was asking for info from people that may have more experience

and thanks for the link erebunicrx it made me want to do this even more

Quoted post[/post]]
ok well i guess i will try it and see and guess what i actually have a copy of fluents flowizard and ive been playing with it so im not just welding shit together and getn r done im puting thought into this and was asking for info from people that may have more experience

and thanks for the link erebunicrx it made me want to do this even more

Fluent is decent. What are you modeling in? I take my statement regarding CFD back; wth are you doing coming onto HS asking these kinds of questions if you have a copy of Fluent on your pc? That's like asking normal girls how to change oil (misti not included).

If you can get a copy of Ricardo WAVE or WAVE Vectis you can model and test different types of intakes. Thats what we're doing for the manifold design on our Formula SAE car.

Quoted post[/post]]
Fluent is decent. What are you modeling in? I take my statement regarding CFD back; wth are you doing coming onto HS asking these kinds of questions if you have a copy of Fluent on your pc? That's like asking normal girls how to change oil (misti not included).

from her activity on her i can definitely tell you that misti is not normal...but thats good for her. normal girls suck for the most part.

Back