Intake manifold debate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

egb20hatch

I was wondering if a skunk2 intake manifold and itr throttle body would benifit on a second gen. jdm b16a with I/h/e. my friend says it would make it lose power and i say if anything it would just be the same untill u add cams but i think it would make some power over the stock one. what are your opions on this?

the intake manifold would make about 2-4 horsepowers on the high rpm range. i have it on my b16 and i like it.

as for the throttle body you'd really see the benefits after engine work, though it'll add a little bit of power also if that, won't be very noticable.

so both combined MAYBE 5whps, max. worth it or not its your money.

my opinion - slap your friend upside the head.

stop listening to friends, and do your own reasearch (lik eyou are doing here). everyone thinks they know shit.

fact is, longer runners are better for a higher rpm motor, while shorter runners are good for low end torque monsters/v8s, etc.

the b16 is a stubby compared to the itr. the skunk2 is also a good design you might want to look into.

do u think a fpr would make a difference? if so how much more psi should be added?

FPR makes no difference.

at the most you could set up a gauge to monitor the pressure, but if you're just doing bolt-on's keep the pressure stock.

"if you need more fuel get bigger injectors."

??
if you added skunk2 stage 2 cams it'll be great....

if you're talking about the FPR i'd still say no need.

fuel pressure is the stupidest thing to modify. if you NEED more fuel, you need more fuel- not higher pressure of fuel.

think of it like a garden hose with no nozzle on it. a lot of watter comes out, but there is no pressure.
now, put your thumb over the hole, and you gave it some pressure and it seems to be coming out much faster, but in all reality your just blocking the hole.

so once again, if you need more fuel, you need a pump and larger injectors, not more pressure. Pressure is good for a minor tweak here and there, and thats about it. This is also why FMU's are pieces of shit.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 11 2003, 05:18 AM
fact is, longer runners are better for a higher rpm motor, while shorter runners are good for low end torque monsters/v8s, etc.

i think you have these backwards B

the ITR has much shorter runners than any of the other B series engines

the ITR units make more power than the oem b16 intake mannys in the upper power band, say above 8200rpms which an oem b16 doesn't see.

Milan

yeah i think B had his facts fuct up.

the long runners are good for torque and the short runners are good fir high rpm honda vtec horsepower.

Back