intake manifold maintenance

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
i purchased a b16a3 manifold the other day and i was wondering how to clean out the inside...its filthy black...should i just have it hot tanked?...or buy somethin to clean it out myself.. :shrug2:

Quoted post[/post]]
i purchased a b16a3 manifold the other day and i was wondering how to clean out the inside...its filthy black...should i just have it hot tanked?...or buy somethin to clean it out myself.. :shrug2:

Have it hot tanked and save yourself the trouble. (although I read somewhere that you aren't supposed to hot-tank aluminum parts.. I suppose it depends on what chemicals they are using)

I've done mine with warm soapy water and a bottle brush. Start by spraying it out with a can of carb cleaner to break up the carbon and the big chunks.

Quoted post[/post]]
I've done mine with warm soapy water and a bottle brush. Start by spraying it out with a can of carb cleaner to break up the carbon and the big chunks.
That's some pretty good advice. I wouldn't worry about getting it squeeky clean. Just make sure to use some high-pressure water (like hose water from a nozzle) to completely rid the manifold of particles.

hey thanks guys...i'll try that...i was unsure about the hot tank...anyother suggestions..please post...

get it extrude honed/ported......or this is good
QUOTE(phyregod @ Sep 27 2005, 03:26 PM) *

how hard is it to just take out the intake manifold, because it sounds like it's not really that hard to clean, so if i can make it "breath a little better" without spending money.. why not.

Quoted post[/post]]
how hard is it to just take out the intake manifold, because it sounds like it's not really that hard to clean, so if i can make it "breath a little better" without spending money.. why not.

Because it'll cost you $40 in gaskets? Thats a good reason..

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Because it'll cost you $40 in gaskets? Thats a good reason..
yea ...well i have it off already...i have to swap back to stock for referee...i got it cleaned...pretty easy..thanks..

Back