Intake Manifold Questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I saw a topic about an intake manifold and I got to thinking:

1. How hard are they to install?
2. What is a good one?
3. Is it worth it?
4. Does it effect smog for CA?

The reason I am asking it is because a lot of people say it is a good idea but I hear some people say they are not worth it. I believe Skunk2 makes a good one but I dont even know who whould make another one. It wouuld be going on a '96 GSR. Thanks in advance. :D

Isnt an Intake Manifold the most power adding bolt on you can get? I dont have an aftermarket one so dont take my work for it.

1. How hard are they to install?

Easy, just bolt on.

2. What is a good one?

Depends on who you ask.

3. Is it worth it?

I think so, I did it to my car.

It shouldn't, as long as you can still hook up your O2 sensor.

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@Jan 27 2004, 07:52 PM
Isnt an Intake Manifold the most power adding bolt on you can get? I dont have an aftermarket one so dont take my work for it.

Not at all , any kind of forced induction is the most power gainer, Intake manifolds arent really worth the money unless you have alot of mods such as forced induction or ALOT of NA mods such as cam (s) high compression pistons and so forth

Originally posted by SolLess16+Jan 27 2004, 09:45 PM-->
H22AdelSol
@Jan 27 2004, 07:52 PM

Not at all , any kind of forced induction is the most power gainer, Intake manifolds arent really worth the money unless you have alot of mods such as forced induction or ALOT of NA mods such as cam (s) high compression pistons and so forth

yea and no. If your really into things like autox and you try and be compeditive with your mods. It can be a smart idea since it is legal in DSP. With the GSR intake, the intake is huge and pretty bulky. Every few pounds count. Also, I have seen some say up to 12 hp on one.

Originally posted by TDaddy@Jan 27 2004, 05:42 PM

It shouldn't, as long as you can still hook up your O2 sensor.

you have an O2 sensor on your intake manifold?? :blink: :blink:

If you don't have a lot of cash.....then stay with the GSR maini!!

Why????? Cuz the secondary butterflies in the manifold go hand-n-hand with the GSR's ECU. Have you ever noticed the GSR's Vtec kicks in earlier than the other Vtec powerplants with single stage manifolds?

If you decide to get an aftermarket manifold then go with the Skunk2 and change to a chipped P28 or P30 ECU to match the power band.

i wouldn't go as far as to say its an "easy install" there are a lot of things you have to worry about if you dont have access to a hoist etc. you will alos have to drain quite a bit of coolant.. i did mine when the motor was out of the car, so it was super easy.. but some of the bottom bolts are tough to get to with hand tools on a b series...

the vtec doesn't kick in any earlier- the cam change is at the same RPM- that change in noise is just the secondary butterlies in the intake manny

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Jan 29 2004, 02:51 PM
the vtec doesn't kick in any earlier- the cam change is at the same RPM- that change in noise is just the secondary butterlies in the intake manny

what are you talking about? on GSR the vtec goes on at 4400, that is way earlier than other B motors. its the butterflies that open later, ~5800 rpm.

Originally posted by B16@Jan 29 2004, 02:53 PM
on GSR the vtec goes on at 4400, that is way earlier than other B motors. its the butterflies that open later, ~5800 rpm.

Serious? I never knew what that was. I was telling one of my friends to lesten to it but I didnt know what it was. At about 4400 rpm something would change, didnt know if it was VTEC because the regular VTEC kicks in at about 5500 or 5700. At about 4400 it felt like another VTEC or something. The one that kicks in at 5500 or so, is powerful.

B16, if you can, please explain to me what is going on with my car. (the 4400 VTEC thingy) :D

hmmm that's weird- i guess scott's gsr was fucked up then, because there was def. a buttefly change before the actual came change over

or at least some change that didn't feel like a full cam changeover- oh well, my bad

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Jan 29 2004, 03:03 PM
hmmm that's weird- i guess scott's gsr was fucked up then, because there was def. a buttefly change before the actual came change over

or at least some change that didn't feel like a full cam changeover- oh well, my bad

you have it backwards

B16, if you can, please explain to me what is going on with my car. (the 4400 VTEC thingy)

explain what? i just did, lol. vtec goes on at 4400, secondaries open at around 5800.

^^^^^^^^no- this part i at least know- haha it's the secondary butteflies in the intake- GSRs have a two stage intake, the butterflies that we are talking about are what switches between the long runners and the short runners

yeah i guess so- it just seemed like there was an audible sound change before full on vtec hit- oh well i'm a tard- hopefully i'll remember better once the gsr is in my civic

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Jan 29 2004, 03:12 PM
it just seemed like there was an audible sound change before full on vtec hit-

Exactly me too! I did not know how to discribe it as well as you did though. :D

haah, no, both cams go into vtec... like slammed said, its your secondary butterflies in the intake manifold that open up at the later RPM.

yeah i guess so- it just seemed like there was an audible sound change before full on vtec hit- oh well i'm a tard- hopefully i'll remember better once the gsr is in my civic

that audiable noise is infact vtec engaging. the loudness you hear later is the secondaries.

wow no shit- learn something new everyday, it's a good thing i never told anyone else that

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Jan 29 2004, 07:36 PM
wow no shit- learn something new everyday, it's a good thing i never told anyone else that

It's cool!!! We all learn everyday..........Even the moderator's I'm sure!!!

Back