intake manifolds

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX_B16B

Here is some good info on intake manifolds

Multiport fuel injection (MPI) systems use dry intakes, which allows more flexiblity in design. Still, many variations of runner lengths and plenum size have been used. To date, the most common design for MPI performance cars is the long-runner / small-plenum type. In these manifolds long-runners build torque but also take advantage of a phenomenon known as inertial supercharging through resonance-tuning.
When the piston decends during its intake stroke, air is drawn through the intake runner. This airflow has momentum, and whan the intake valve colses, the air in the runner continues forward and crashes in the back of the valve. The air then "bounces" back, creating a reverse airflow back towards the plenum. When it reaches the wall of air in the plenum, it agin recoils and heads back towards the intake valve. if the intake valve opens at this moment, the incoming air gets a boost from the airflow wave already in the runner, which aids velocity, thus enhancing cylender fill. Resonace tunning is the practice of selecting a runner length and crosssection that will create this situation consistantly. Camshaft profile must be designed to coincide with the runner so that the intake valve opens at the right time to "catch the wave."
While resonance tuning works well to build midrange power, it also creates a narrow margin of efficencyfor the manifold, sinsce the inertial supercharging effect will only really work in a limited rpm range. To get around this, some manufactuers introduced dual runner intakes: one short, one long (as seen on Yamaha-built Ford Taurus SHO engines and the LTS Corvette). This gives the benefits of tuned runners for low rpm and short runners for high rpm.
The down side of a dry intake manifold is that it often transfers a lot of engine heat to the air charge that passes through it. The fuel in a wet manifold acts like a coolant and reduces intake-charge temperature. This is why placing bags of ice on the intake of a MPI engine brings such positive results at the drags.

Thanks to: Terry McGean from HOT ROD MAGIZINE

Hence why honda put the IAB's in the gsr intake manifold, and why BMW and toyota have created their variable length intake manifold runners.

what's the picture crx b16b? ^^^^^^^

dude they want $2,000 for it. i would rather just get a skunk2 ported and use a hondata intake manifold gasket. i bet it would work better too.

God Damn!! :eek: I paid less then that for my whole engine, tranny, mounts and ECU!!! :fuckyou2:

Actully its a relly good intake because the cardon fiber and aluminum it really light and the carbon doesnt transfer heat very well so that means colder intake charge! :D

hondata IM gasket doesn't transfer heat very well at all either, so that means cooler intake charge, too.

the gasket still transfers heat its still metal carbon fiber retains 87% less heat than aluminum, this includes heat in the engine bay not just transfered from the block. :p

For that much money? :nutkick:

not worth the $ per hp gain and negligible hp to weight ratio gain. Perhaps should try to fabricate a transparent hood as well to show if off. Wrapping tobacco with thousand dollar bills?...then get more gains by fabricating your body work with CF. (higher hp to weight ratio)

the CF IM makes power. dyno proven.
air research VS JG victor X:

fac9a59e.jpg

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=652605

the Hondata gasket doesn't make power. it does reduce air temp a few degrees, which might make a hp or two- but thats not its goal.

holy shit someone actully bought one I'm to dutch for that shit. I just dream of it instead. :(
EDIT thanks for the back-up B. :)

with the carbon mani the engine hit over 400hp about 2500 rpm sooner!!!

i think the jg mani would have done much better with a hondata IM gasket considering those things work best on FI setups. however, good proof that the carbon mani is a better design, and works great on FI setups.

Back