Intake pipe bypass device

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

peanut

I was free today and popped by a car mod shop. Inside they had a huge stack of boxes with air intake 'improvement' devices in them. Retail price $110. These devices are supposed to add hp, increase torque and improve acceleration times. I asked them, 'How many pounds of boost is this going to add?'" No straight answer. I studied the device and exclaimed to one of the sales guy, "How can a passive device like this add power?' Isn't this similar to opening up the throttle bore. He quickly switched subjects or rather used the names installed in Porsche, BMW for more power. (I actually drove these two before, the 996 Carrera 4S and a 735i and I think these devices will be more of a hindrance in them)

The device is supposed to be connected via a T-joint at the hose going to the valve cover from the intake pipe, naturally there will be a vacuum effect. I went out and saw this young guy installing this device into his Subaru. The mechanic asked him to place his hand near the device, looking at the poor young fella, he was obviously impressed at the suction power, thinking it must have added a significant amount of air into the engine. The device was then placed at the radiator front 'to capture more air'. The mechanic advised that if he opened up the device for too much air the check engine light will come on. Of course, WTF!! I thought to myself.

It was even said two or more of these devices will add more hp and so on. I know its all a load of crap trying to burn a hole in pockets of the ignorants. These type of devices come and go every year. Last year, I even came across a product with a electric fan inside a pipe supposedly serving the same purpose as above. Some hopeless jokers even install it in their exhaust piping or even cut up their intake runners to install it. Each of them retails for about the same price as above. Fucking scams. Looks good during idle but sucks at any rpm above idle.

I also nearly got into a pointless argument with another mechanic. He said that I got an ecu for 1.6L but running a 1.5L engine, I will surely run rich. A whole load of crap. I know he is bitter about not being able to overcharge me by doing the dpfi to mpfi swap for me. I was quoted $1150 which led me to research and to perform it myself.

After which, I walked out w/o spending a single cent, even forgetting to buy what I wanted.

Back