Intake Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

justaguy

I am installing a D15B JDM into a 2000 Civic SI/EX (D16Y8) for a friend of mine. They were told that this engine would be a pretty much direct bolt in that you use the intake and exhaust from original engine and away you go.

I pulled off intakes and noticed that the one has a chanel running above and the D15 block does not have that channel, so this concerned me right away. I called the company they got the engine from and he says just silicone the holes up...

If someone could take a look at the image of both and verify this guy is telling the truth ands not in left feild that would be awesome.

engine.jpg

Would it make more sence to take the head from the D16Y8 and put it on the D15B block? both are SOHC VTEC and D series blocks.... I have looked threw all the threads and can not find info on Vtec to Vtec only non vtec D15b to Vtec D16Y8

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks

Everything is in and runing.... but i am getting surging idle.... goes from 1000RPM - 1500RPM when sitting still. I am thinking it may be the fuel maping system.

Any Ideas?

hunting idle can be a few different things.

Plenty of threads about it

it could be something silly like air in your coolant lines

or TPS or idle valve sensor....

Just make sure there's no air bubbles in the coolant lines and check each sensor on or next to the throttle body.

Most can be cleaned with starter fluid or you can check for continuity for a bad sensor.

I'm currently having the same problem, mine turned out to be a vacuum leak.

P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction is the engine code it is throwing. It is the only code. It does run normal until it is warm then it starts the very little mini revs maybe 100 rpms. I could not find any bleeder for the coolant either.

I fixed the issue. The channel that is shown on the intake from the D16Y8 head above has a vacuum line that used to go to an L valve that was on the side of the thermostat housing. The JDM 15B block did not have the same hole for the sensor and that head did not have the channel.

What our mistake was we put in a joiner piece in to connect the 2 hoses not really understanding what it was doing... what that sensor was doing was warming up the air on startup then as it reached a temp it closed the valve in the L shutting the line off. With that valve not closing once it warmed up it was stealing vacuum causing the fluctuation.

I just blocked the line off for now and it made an instant improvement dropping the idle to 750RPM and no more fluctuation.

Back