integra gsr or hatchback?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tegg_gsr

I own a 95 integra gsr with 162,000 miles and someone offered me $5000 for it,and i found a 92 hatch vx for $2200.i have saved up $2000.and i was thinkin about sellin my car buyin the hatch and swappin the motor with a b18.im not sure if i want to go ls\vtec or just buy the gsr engine. i plan on goin turbo later.and i also wanted to know how much of price difference there is between the ls\vtec and gsr (and which is better for a budget turbo set up). is there any other good places to buy engines besides HMO? thanx for all the help!!!

Do you like your GSR? If you like the civic better, then do it. IMO I would just get the GSR motor, it boost just fine. LSvtecs can be budget, if you already have the block and can get the parts real cheap, but it needs to be built by someone that has experiance, or it can become big budget quick.

my dad owns a shop so well be doin the werk for free.ive heard its better to boost ls with the stock pistons because of its lowere compression.is this true?

Yes, and no. Vtec heads flow better and can rev higher, better flow, more time in boost, faster spool, but they have a higher compression, so you need to tune it due to more heat, more heat = detonation, more detonation = motor go bye-bye. Ls has lower compression so less tuning, but not really less, you still want to make it function properly under boost. There are others that can give you better ideas and facts about boost.

Originally posted by tegg_gsr Posted on Aug 22 2003@ 06:41 AM
my dad owns a shop so well be doin the werk for free.

Has your dad ever built a LSvtec? Though a competent machinist given the correct procedures could do it, it is still better to have someone with experiance there.

Could have more power, could have less. That's the beauty of building your own engine, control of parts. I would just stick to a factory built motor, but that's me.

thanx the only reason that im thinkin goin ls/vtec is the cost of the engine and tranny doesnt cost as much ,but i have one more question about boost .if i put on a turbo kit(not sure what kind,but i want to push about 8psi or so)what all will i have to change internally on my engine.pistons....etc

Originally posted by tegg_gsr@Aug 22 2003, 01:35 AM
thanx the only reason that im thinkin goin ls/vtec is the cost of the engine and tranny doesnt cost as much ,but i have one more question about boost .if i put on a turbo kit(not sure what kind,but i want to push about 8psi or so)what all will i have to change internally on my engine.pistons....etc

get the gsr swap dude. you'll have a somewhat more reliable swap and you'll get the tranny that you should be getting. you can run stock internals, just get it tuned properly.

geoff from full-race made 586hp on a gsr with stock internals with the Full-Race Turbo Kit tuned with hondata. here are some pics of his car... http://www.full-race.com/geoff/

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Aug 22 2003, 01:52 AM
get the gsr swap dude. you'll have a somewhat more reliable swap and you'll get the tranny that you should be getting. you can run stock internals, just get it tuned properly.

geoff from full-race made 586hp on a gsr with stock internals with the Full-Race Turbo Kit tuned with hondata. here are some pics of his car... http://www.full-race.com/geoff/

yeah, but how long is it going to run like that? theres a civic around here with a gsr motor running 8 pounds boost around 400hp on stock internals. However he says hes only got about 10 more runs on the strip before he has to build them up.

8 psi? 400 hp? wheres the bullshit flag... oh wait, here it is :bs:

even a t88 that would never spool on a stock gsr won't put 400 whp to the ground on just 8 pounds.

how does he calculate 10 more runs? that dude is a moron. end of story.

the gsr motor owns the Ls in nearly all aspects except cost. if you can afford it, get he gsr from the get-go.
the 10:1 compression of the gsr is NOT that high. on an fmu, yeah. on hondata, its perfect.

This will be my everyday driver ,so i want it to last for a while.Im not at all familliar about the"fmu and hondata".If someone can give a site or something so i can check it out that would be greatly appricaited. thanx!

thanx a lot.so any suggestions on which turbo setup(kit i should get)?

ok im starting off with $7000 and im buying a hatch for $2200(plus ttl) and a engine for $3200(plus tax,shipping).im left with aprox. $1000.So looks like ill be saving for a while again.

Originally posted by tegg_gsr@Aug 22 2003, 01:35 AM

u might want to get better cranks

Originally posted by iamane12d+Aug 23 2003, 08:26 AM-->
@Aug 22 2003, 01:35 AM

u might want to get better cranks

There is only ONE crank in the motor, and there is no reason to get a better one, that's one of the best internal parts of a Honda motor.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Aug 23 2003, 02:59 AM

There is only ONE crank in the motor, and there is no reason to get a better one, that's one of the best internal parts of a Honda motor.

:werd: :withstupid:
honda cranks rock

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 22 2003, 03:52 AM
8 psi? 400 hp? wheres the bullshit flag... oh wait, here it is :bs:

even a t88 that would never spool on a stock gsr won't put 400 whp to the ground on just 8 pounds.

how does he calculate 10 more runs? that dude is a moron. end of story.

just what he tells me. he owns a shop around here, and runs his civ hatch at the track all the time. he constantly runs 11s, whatever boost he IS running.

i decided not to go ls/vtec due to the down time (and other reasons).but i only found and heard good things about HMO.are there some other places i should look before buying?what psi would you recomend with stock internals(gsr)?

Back