Integra H23a or H22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

h22teggy

Hello all, I have a 94 gsr with a h22a4 swap. It is boosted. The rings are bad and it overheats so the motor is done I think. I need help in deciding my next engine. Should I go with another H22 or get the H23a. I want the swap to be as simple as possible and would like for all my turbo parts and everything to bolt right up. I have tried looking on here for the answer but have had no luck, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

i would take the head off and see what exactly is wrong with it. might be more cost effective to rebuild it. but as far as a replacement motor i would just get whichever one you can find at a better deal, h22 or h23 would be easy to swap. the car will have to be re-tuned with whatever choice you make so the ecu is not really the issue. how is your car tuned now? that may be the reason the motor is toasted.

I can get a h23a for $1200 shipped from torontojdm.com. The car is dyno tuned but probably not in tip top tune due to low budget. I do want to do the swap tho, I don't want to rebuiild mine. It has oil in the spark plug holes. It has a usdm h23 tranny, dont know what year. The vtec was messed up too. It didnt work. I appreciate the info. thanks

I can get a h22a for around 1000 from a local speed shop called zerolift. Its a obd1 though. Does that make a difference?

no you want an obd1 motor really. what year is your integra? honestly you should just talk to a local shop about doing the swap for you, hooking up everything the right way and also dyno tuning the car when its all back together.

The only problem with rebuilding an H22 are the funky sleeves when your engine overheats those sleeves lose their strength. The only engines Honda ever made with those FRM sleeves are the H series engines and the engines for the NSX. I know once my H23 overheated a few times right the knock sensor came on and then about 5 minutes later there was a rod hanging out of the block.

The real question is, are you currently running the H22a4 on an OBD1 ECU or are you using an OBD2? If the car has already been rewired for OBD2 its gonna be a bit of a mess changing the harness back to OBD1. If it's already OBD1, I'd just replace the engine.

I bought the car with the swap in it, big mistake lol. I'm not sure if it's obd1 or 2. I will look up info on how to tell in a little bit if that's possible. I would say obd2, that's why i am wanting to go with the h23a vtec, what are your opinions on that engine? I don't have alot of money to work with, thats why i am doing the swap myself. I thank you all for helping me out

Never actually touched that engine before and never done an obd2 swap before.

Does anyone know if a non-vtec h23 tranny will work well with the h23a vtec boosted? And will a turbo kit from a h22a4 fit on the h23a? I am pretty sure it will but not 100% sure.

Everything from the Hs is interchangeable, so yes to all your questions. As for will the h23a1 tranny work WELL? that depends on if you want gas mileage or fast acceleration. The h23a1 tranny is good ratios for gas mileage.

could you give me a little info on your vaccum lines and vtec wires i have a obd1 92 h22a motor in a 94 ls integra body help please

Back