intercooler piping 2.25" or 2.5"??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bvtec

hi could someone explain which turbo piping to get 2.25" or 2.5" piping on a honda civic b16a2 with revhard manifold, t3/t4E turbo (.60/.63) running 7 psi at first then turned up in abt 6months to 1.2 bar with rest of fuel mangement etc
so what size piping?? ;)

1.2 bar = 16 - 17 psi???
on stock internals

i would suggest 2.5, the bigger the better of course
but don;t expect the rods to hold that much boost for long

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 13 2004, 10:26 AM
1.2 bar = 16 - 17 psi???
on stock internals

i would suggest 2.5, the bigger the better of course
but don;t expect the rods to hold that much boost for long

not true on IC piping, too large = turbo lag. for setup under 300hp run 2.25". for setups running 300-500hp 2.50" should work fine.

note-you can use 2.50" but 2.25" will work best for your current setup

so if at first i run 7psi with 2.5" piping will that b ok??

and hopefully when i turn up the boost i will havew srp pistons/crower rods by then, i will b really asking for trouble if i run 16psi on std internals :lol:
thanks for all your answers

Originally posted by bvtec@Apr 14 2004, 12:12 AM
so if at first i run 7psi with 2.5" piping will that b ok??

and hopefully when i turn up the boost i will havew srp pistons/crower rods by then, i will b really asking for trouble if i run 16psi on std internals :lol:
thanks for all your answers

yeah but the lag may be a little more. so yes it will work, in fact i think a majority of people use 2.50" for setups under 300hp not knowing that 2.25" is better.

I beleave that the 2.5inch piping is better do to the fact that is has more potenical and if u think it makes ur turbo lag more witch i dont it will so it will be minimal u wouldent event notice

Originally posted by bl18t@Apr 14 2004, 12:34 PM
and if u think it makes ur turbo lag more witch i dont it will so it will be minimal u wouldent event notice

if it spools a couple hundred rpm sooner its definetly worth it. spool time on turbos is pretty important stuff n00b. much to learn you still have young padiwon...

16psi on a t3/t04E...

may I ask what your complete setup will consist of?

my setup shal hopefully be as follows if theres any faults lemme know:-

revhard t3/t4 manifold
garrett t3/t4E (.60/.63)
tial external wastegate
je pistons(9.0.1)/crower rods
Hondata management
2.5" intercooler piping/intercooler
440cc injectors
3" downpipe back exhaust system

hmm i think thats all may have forgotten something, if i am going wrong somewhere i would appreciate some advice thanks

go 2 1/2.

2 1/4 is smaller than your TB as well, which is roughly 60mm, or 2.36 inches... so just go 2.5 and call it a day

What kind of driveing do you want to do. Cause A t3/t4 is great if your a dyno queen big numbers in a straight line. IE drag raceing , but as far as a road track or city turns ect. like that it is too big. You want it to spool quickly I would use a t3. That way you got it all the time. I am more of a turn guy I don't like straigh lines it is like nas car bull shit circles. I like left right left right left etc... Comeing out of the turns the tubo will lag. Also too big of a front mout Inter cooler is a waste. Most people put a big ass front mont on cause i looks cool and bigger is better. You loose psi, but a smaller IC will be way more potent. Especialy for a 1.6 L Just some thoughs. Good luck happy raceing

go watch nascar 3d at IMAX and then say nascar is bullshit... Or try to WALK on a nascar oval and they say that its bullshit... <_<

[/QUOTE]

Cause A t3/t4 is great if your a dyno queen big numbers in a straight line. IE drag raceing , but as far as a road track or city turns ect. like that it is too big
t3/t4 shouldnt be too big, i mean from what i know to get decent power out of a t3 wil take more boost than on a t3/t4 turbo.

plus i aint gonna b on track much type of driver i am ill topple the car or something i got a very heavy foot lolz ;)

thanks for your replies all

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Apr 15 2004, 09:37 AM
go watch nascar 3d at IMAX and then say nascar is bullshit... Or try to WALK on a nascar oval and they say that its bullshit... <_<

2 port carburated iron engines putting up rediculously low HP considering their CID running races at rediculous speeds.

What's not dumb about that?

Sometimes I'm watching the speed channel. I can usually stomach it for about 5 minutes before one of the dinosaurs makes a prophetic statement about how "Technology is destroying modern racing."

Racing is technology. Racing is the proving grounds for many modern components that may end up as OEM or aftermarket systems for you and your kids. Are lightweight alloys, independent throttle bodies, variable valve lift, and data-logging the enemy?

What's a better victory? That Jeff Gordon pilots a deaf, blind, obese slab of metal and rubber around a track at idioticly high speeds to victory? Or that Team Spoon designs, builds and implements new technologies for the Accord Euro R, works painstakingly for months to get every product reliable and within spec, working with the driver even longer to master the new systems and the precision tuning, all to beat the pants off of everyone else in a 25 hour enduro?

Will you see spoons parts for your TSX? I think yes. And what does Jeff Gordon do? Sign autographs and give you a reason to throw a tailgate party? This is the typical American engineering mindset, and I'm really glad that people are losing their jobs because of unsound engineering practices. My hat goes off to Dodge, who seems to finally get the big picture. Check out the engines they are putting in their neons now. They resemble our very own beloved k-series.

I'm sorry if I sound unpatriotic, but I think we as consumers give our own OEM too much damn wriggle-room because "it's American". And NASCAR is the antithesis of racing as far as I'm concerned.

[/rant]

how about a b16 with t3t4 .50 trim
2" to the IC, and 2.5" to the TB. on 7lbs

in what ways does the downpipe, and exhaust effect the spool time.
ilike to autox so i want a quick spool, but i also want it tohold to 8400.

-Robbie

i would use 2.25" from the IC to the IM IMO BTW OK? lol
too big isnt good from everything ive been reading and it makes sense, cuz air is compressable. ive read under 300whp its best to use this size.

too small of a downpipe and exhaust wont flow exh gases as freely as a larger one. that exh flow blows the turbine so you can imagine what a restricted vs non restricted must be like.

My throttle body and intercooler both have 2.5 inch openings, so I went with 2.5 inch intercooler piping. I would go with 2.5 inch and if your making a lot of horsepower and you have a big TB then maybe even 2.75 or 3 inch. The bigger piping will make your turbo lag a few hundred rpms more, but it will flow more cfm into your motor. More cfm into your motor means a difference in power. The top end power you gain will be worth it if you ask me. A few hundred rpms difference in spool time isn't that big of a deal. My car is a daily driver, but when I race my car I want all the top end power I can get because that's where the power is in our honda motors.

Back