Intercooler Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

newb

phresh
VIP
So Im lookin for an intercooler for my car. All the kits have narrow, tall intercoolers that look like shit with hacked bumpers. In this pic, thats about the widest Ive ever seen, and its about the narrowest I want to go.

1004875_600.jpg

I first thought the intercoolers I usually see on Integras with ITR front ends would be what I wanted, but it turns out theyre still pretty narrow. The bumpers just covers them really good. I poked around a bit, and found these pics.

images

images

That looks to be about wide enough, even though Civics are quite a bit narrower than my car. Unfortunately, the info I can find on that intercooler is that its, "Custom made by some guy." Can any give me a reference on how wide that might be, and where I could go to buy one that wide? Id appreciate any help.

yeah i was going to say, why dont you just measure the front of your car and see about how wide you want it. im guessing something in the mid 30" inch range.

Lol, I did measure. Thats how I know the intercoolers I see on ITRs are too narrow. But, Ive forgot how wide the grill was on my car lol. I believe it was like 34x8. Ill hafta remeasure today.

Im lookin for a Z28. I thought the usual intercoolers I see ITRs would be big enough, but theyre not.

Did you get those measurements? I am sure you'll be able to find the right size with the amount of manufacturers out there.

Sizing an intercooler for looks is probably the wrong way to do it. You need a core that will both fit under the bumper support (street car) or replaces the crash bar (not very legal, insurance issues if you crash and hurt someone) AND provides adequct cooling without being a burden on efficiency.

Did you get those measurements? I am sure you'll be able to find the right size with the amount of manufacturers out there.

Lookin for somethin in the ball park of 36" wide and 8-10" inches tall.

Sizing an intercooler for looks is probably the wrong way to do it. You need a core that will both fit under the bumper support (street car) or replaces the crash bar (not very legal, insurance issues if you crash and hurt someone) AND provides adequct cooling without being a burden on efficiency.

Granted I dont know a lot about intercoolers, but I know they use surface area to cool. But, Im lookin to run something shorter and wider than the Precision 750 horse (my goal is 700) to get me roughly the same surface area. The Precision measures 31 1/2" wide and 10 5/8" tall.

Is my thinking not correct?

Oh and the bumper support wont be an issue.

Back