Interest in swapping h22 in an eg HB..advice plz

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXSI91

Ok...heres the deal..i have 3 LS motors currently....one is inside my CRX hf....the other is in my garage....and the other is blown,but inside a 93 cx hatchback that i just recently purchased....for the longest time i wanted to do LS turbo in the crx,and do LS vtec in the hatch..but i realized its too much money,and too little time..so i decided to keep the hatch...and get rid of the EF...but when i decided that...i also was intrigued with doing an H22 swap in an eg..cus one of my friends has already done it...and its a monster...now i figure if i sell the crx...and use that money to buy the swap,and parts i am going to need along the way..i will be fine...so right now thats my goal....but i need a little advice.

1. Would i be getting myself into a lot of trouble by doing this swap?? i know there is modifications,but what exactly am i looking at....i took a look at the swap section,and i need more info...websites,people that have done it..anything would be helpful

2. A N/A h22 inside of an EG hatch,with a moderate driver....what is the time ran with just an intake....because i was looking into doing an all motor setup with the h22...intake header exhaust..cams...pistons,rods,and then bore and stroke it to a 2.6 liter...yes i know,its a lot of money..but if i can put down 220 to 250 whp on an all motor setup,and make it reliable..im going to do it..and im positive i can with this motor.

3. Hmotorsonline the best canidate to order the motor?

4. parts for the h22...i know they are more expensive,and less abudant..but they are out there right?? i dont mind paying extra for my cams and what not,as long as i know they are there to buy.

im really motivated to do this swap..not to be different...but to get out of the whole "my car is light so that makes up for my lack of power and displacement" theme... :worthy: :worthy:

I am currently building an H23/H22 hybrid for my 93 hatch. It sounds like you got a good idea.
-I know that you gotta get custom axles (I'm using 86-89 integra axles mated to 92-96 prelude inner joints)
-prelude/accord shift linkage (cut the shifter tunnel),
-mounts, (removing or cutting pass. side tranny mount)
-ECU (I'm using P28 w/ H22 fuel maps/timing curves, can use OBD 1 P13)
-longer clutch line (I'm using steel braided...)

Also, if you are going to bore the H22, you have to get new sleeves, defidently.

Go for it!! I can't wait till mine's done!

hmotorsonline is an excellent source...

check hasport.com, look at the mounts and read the instructions... it will give you a general idea of what is required

H22 stock = 200 hp...
sounds like you are gonna spend an ass load of money on the motor, let us know how it goes, how much you spent, and what whp you realize..

parts are less abundant, but are available and usually only slightly more than similar b series parts..

good luck
take lots of pics

Also, if you don't use the OBD 1 P13, you can use the P72 (GSR) ecu so that you don't loose the secondary intake runners. (If you use the stock intake manifold.)

Originally posted by scottp11@Apr 28 2005, 02:49 PM
Also, if you don't use the OBD 1 P13, you can use the P72 (GSR) ecu so that you don't loose the secondary intake runners. (If you use the stock intake manifold.)
[post=492629]Quoted post[/post]​

DO NOT USE THE GSR COMPUTER PLEASE.
We used a GSR computer in an h22, and found out that somehow it doesn't deliver enough fuel :huh: and we detonated $2400.
The swap itself is pretty fun, and to tell you the truth it is work, but not all that hard.
Just buy the mount kit, (we got the ebay special it was like $250 or something) cut a piece of the passenger side tranny mount (on the frame part, you'll see what i mean, the clutch cables wont be able to move into other gears if you dont cut it), get axles (we used two 93 GSR axles one plugged right in, and the other one we had to mate to the h22 axle.)
Optionally purchase the h22 AC bracket, we bought one, and they shipped us two.
Cut the place where the shift linkage will go to.
Get the wiring done somewhere, dont DIY it sucks ass.
Plan on spending the money for exhaust/pipe.
It is a pretty fun swap, we have done 3 of them,
2 92 hatches and 1 95 coupe...
JDM h22a ("45,000mi") : 13.7 on slicks *hatch ( i personally think that jdm is over-rated )
USDM h22a1 (103,000mi) : 13.3 on slicks *hatch (<- why i think JDM is over-rated )
USDM h22a1 (87,000mi) : 14.4 on regular old shit tires+17s *coupe (detonated with GSR ecu)
I have only Heard good things about hmotorsonline so far.

it is perfectly fine to run the p72 ecu with the h22. I currently am running one right now. Yes the fuel maps are leaner than the h22's but it should not be so great as to detonate and blow. The best way to do it is to either buy a vafc and tune it with that to add some fuel or otherwise buy hondata or uberdata. If you do not do any of these things i wouldnt reccomend it, because u will get a huge bog right as vtecengages due to a lack of fuel. this is where the vafc of other tuning device is used to tune out the bog

sounds like its a good and popular swap to do...i havent seen too many people up here do it,thats why i asked...cus i knew the EG engine bay is bigger,and has a little bit more space to work with....a shop told me they can get me the motor for 2200...but they said labor would cost me 1000...and then buying mounts and shit..im looking at a 4000 swap....i dont know about a 1000$ swap from ANY shop..thats kind of steep...300 or 600$??? yea..but 1000 is outrageous...

i can get 500+ for a stock replacement motor/tranny swap...

this has a lot more shit to do
1000 for labor isn't so bad in my opinion, but far cheaper to do it yourself

For thr price and work you'll do and LS-T would be a better choice in my opinion.

You can always add vtec later. an LSV-t should be goof for an extra 40-50 hp ove the LS-t.

Back