Interested in a DOHC ZC swap into 91 CRX Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxhero

Hey all, first time posting and thought i would make it a question.

I just recently purchased a 91 Crx Si with 180k miles :eek:
So i decided to just swap in another engine, new or used.
I'm interested in swapping in 1.6L DOHC ZC

I got no problem in installing it, some exhaust cam sensor wiring etc.. blah u get my point.

How much does a new ZC cost? (website?)
if not
I'm not sure were to look for a used one, junk yard? ebay?

thanks!

btw... any other suggestions of another engine i should swap instead ?

crx with a b16 is common...and will only be a lil bit more expensive than the zc depending on a few things but b series parts are pretty easy to get a hold of. Then again you can always go with a D series Vtec motor ...VERY CHEAP parts usually and VERY COMMON. I guess what it always boils down to is how much are you willing to spend.

Hmotors is a good site, I'm not sure if they have the ZC yet or not but the link is Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com

Since you're in CA if you swap the B16 you will need to convert to OBD1 and basically make it look like the Del Sol VTEC (intake manifold, ECU, exhaust manifold) to be able to make it pass smog. I'm not sure if you could make the dual cam ZC legal here in CA or not. Basically it has to be a copy of an engine that was sold in the US with all the appropriate smog parts on it, so as long as whatever you swap was sold out here (or you can make it look like it) you should be ok. If you have a smog hookup then I guess you can disregard what I said :)

Hmotors has the DOHC ZC that is who I bought my motor from. If you have any questions on the ZC swap let me know, it was a few years back when I did it but I still have all of my swap info and stuff in a binder. I converted my DX to a 5speed while I was doing my engine swap so I had quit a few more steps involved.

thanks everyone for the information and help! i actually got a deal on a ls b18 from a friend. Does this engine bolt right in and use the same ecu? What is involved in this swap?

Drake yeah that would be great if you could post all your info on the dx to zc dohc swap. im goign to be using the hatchback dx :p. iev heard that you can use a si tranny to work with the zc dohc engine. dont know if thats true! if so which one would be better. the zc tranny or the civic si tranny? im looking for all the info i can get.

thanks everyone for the information and help! i actually got a deal on a ls b18 from a friend. Does this engine bolt right in and use the same ecu? What is involved in this swap?

No, you will need an engine mount kit, ECU, axles, and transmission if you don't already have it.

Back