Interesting Ethical Debate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I wonder what Terri Schiavo would say.. Remember it was the liberals that were pushing to kill her because she was an inconvenience.

I don't know. I'm not in that situation as the parents are. Voicing my opinion on this isn't valid as I haven't had the emotional strife as raising a baby, yet alone one in this situation.

You do know that every person with Autism is different, right?

Really? I was sure it was because she'd been in a PVS for ten years and would never regain conciousness. Then there's the fact that he husband claimed she wouldn't want to live like that. My father was the same way, did not want life support but he didn't have a Living Will either. At that point it is entirely up to the immediate family to carry out the best wishes for that person. We could've kept my dad on life support to make ourselves feel better but we chose to do the right thing instead. Don't fucking talk shit when you don't know what it's like.

+1

that is why they call Autism a spectrum disorder. It has varying degrees of severity. I believe both examples are valid and should be looked at individually. The steps that these parents took is not a "band-aid" - duct tape -end all be all solution to every case. In the little girls situation I can see a justification for how they came to their decision.

Spoken like someone who has never dealt with a person requiring special needs...
this is correct...i never have had to take care of person requiring special needs (id rather not say "deal with them"..it makes it seem like its a burden..)..but ill go ahead and let you know...if i have a child one day who does need special attention...there is no way in HELL that i will stunt that childs growth just to make it easier on ME...thats a little selfish dont ya think...

They just want their child to be more transport friendly. If that means taking away her feminitity, then so be it. If it means that she will not grow an inch taller nor weigh more than 75lbs, then so be it. Does it matter if the child may know what's going on in their head but since they have absolutely no way of communicating, they can't tell you, "Yes, stunt me now" or "No, are you fucking psychos"? No, you know why? Because they can no transport their child easier and thats all that really matters when it comes down to it. I want to check up on these guys in a few years, i bet they'll have one of those doggie purses fit for a child... I wonder how you'd check that at the airport..

/stonedrant

Back