Interesting read about internet monitization

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Briansol

Admins
Admin
VIP
This popped up on one of the web master boards I'm on.

It's a very interesting read, and HS has followed quite a similar path, spiking a few years earlier then these folks did. 2008 was the peak.

Luckily, we aren't on the path of insolvency... But I also don't live off it or have staff to pay/etc (all mods are volunteers). So long as this place covers the costs, it's worth continuing to operate. That's not what this post is about at all. Rather, it's interesting to see how the internet has changed so much and so many sites that we once went to every day no longer exist.

Remember hot bot? excite? Even car stuff that was huge like overboost.com and speed options... huge players all gone.

https://medium.com/technology-musings/941d15ec96f0

The internet has changed. Facebook came in, killed forums traffic everywhere, and then mobile devices took over, and ads on mobile simply don't work and because of it, they don't pay either. Google search algorithms change 3 times a year... So much at stake all the time.

There's something to be said about technology... it basically makes people and older technology obsolete pretty quick.

The linked article about peakads is pretty neat too.

If you're at all into the business of the internet, it's worth a read.

the problem is, no current big hitters are going to do anything about it.
and when they do decide to do something about it, like metafilter, its going to be after they have been hit hard enough that they are no longer significant.

because there will always be the greedy ones that will play by their rules.

just like in the parts world right now, theres a program that state farm has backed called partstrader. its complete crap, but they require it to be used for their claims.
nobody likes it. not the shops, and certainly not the dealers. but, nobody is refusing it. at least in my area. because they know that if they do, somebody wont, and they will just be losing all of the sales instead of some.

google owns it now. because the companies and individuals are letting them. as long as money is being made then they'll be happy. when money isnt being made, then they'll cry but somebody has already taken their place so google still doesnt care.

Interesting, I've never even been on or heard of their site before honestly.

Back