Intermediate Shaft Problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jmr828

I've got a 91 CRX Si hatch with a b18a1 and a jdm j1 transmission. I went to replace both of my axles, successfully replaced the passenger side, but the driver side will not separate from the intermediate shaft, we tried the jaws of life, the whole 9. So now I'm looking for a new intermediate shaft that would be easy to find via ebay or something of the sort. I've got 12 days until I have to drive 6 states away so I'm trying to get this bad axle fixed asap. I've read tons of things about axles, but I just don't understand what one specifically to use, the axles i have are the male inner core, and my current intermediate has the female outer core, but most of the intermediates i see for sale have the male outer. I haven't been able to find an axle at any parts store that has the female inner core. Please help!!:confused::confused:

90-93 teg intermediate shafts are female, so both axles are male. 94-01 teg/b16 del slo/em1 intermediate shafts are male. in this case the driverside axle is male, and the pass. side is female.

have you tried using an air chisel to seperate the axle from the intermediate shaft? i've had issues with them myself but ive always been able to get them off with a big pry bar, and i think on one occasion an air chisel helped vibrate/seperate the seemingly permanent connection lol.

90-93 teg intermediate shafts are female, so both axles are male.

Yip, these are what you need to look for. If you can find a place online that will sell you a -92 Civic SiR axle that will work too, but finding a usdm 90-93 teg will be easier.

Thanks a bunch for the help guys. I went to order an intermediate off ebay the other day, and after i paid for it, the fine print says it was off of an 87 integra. so I'm gonna go ahead and assume I just wasted my money on it. Also another question, I saw an entire axle/intermediate kit on a website, but it says for hydraulic transmission. Does that mean they can't be used on my cable transmission?

And yes, unfortunately, I've tried everything under the sun to separate the intermediate. My cv axle boot is completely torn, and in two pieces, the inner cv boot to be exact. The shaking on the highway is ridiculous haha

Just kidding. It's an intermediate out of a 90 Integra. THANK GOD! It's been about a month since I've been trying to get one

if you take i off the car, put the intermediate shaft in a bench vice, then procede to beat the shit out of the inner joint housing. that always does it for me.

Back