Intermittent cold start problem?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

preludude

Does anyone know the solution to that? It wont start in the morning, but after repeated tries it will start. Then it will be fine for the rest of the day. Anyone have this problem?? I cant figure it out..any help would be appreciated..

wont start as in, wont turnover.
I replaced the ign. module, but not the entire distributor. could it be the fuel pump? Distributor?

what kind of car is it? because my 90 prelude had this problem and i replaced the main relay and after that it didn't do it anymore- the main relay is in the drive side kick panel, it's a brown box thing- sometimes when my car wouldn't start i would tap on it a few times and it would run- maybe try that first and see if that's the problem :shrug2:

Ah yes, the infamous main relay. Yes every honda will probably have that replaced eventually. Mines died a year ago b/c it when the engine is warmed up, it will crank till the cows come home. I fixed that.

But now the problem is the opposite, it will crank like crazy when cold, then after 6 tries, it will start. when its warmed up, then for the rest of the day its perfect! I dont get it...

Any experience with that type of problem?

Any codes? When I did my swap, I had a code for ECT. Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. It sends a signal to the ECU to tell it what temp your engine is at. If the signal is not there, or within a preset value, then your car assumes that it is at full operating temp(ECU preset). Of course, once warm, this preset is correct, and not at issue.

A possibility at least. :)

Hey thanks for all your help guys.
I did manage to find out the problem though. It was moisture in the distributor. I replaced the cap and rotor and it seems to be back to normal. Go figure.

Back