Internet between buildings

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
Looking for something to boost a signal.
Currently running a Dlink wireless router that will reach the other building through a window, but not through the brick wall...

The IT people suggested running a cable and some sort of device in the other building.
Somewhere in the neighborhood of $500.

Any ideas?

what is the distance between the two buildings?

you can do it a few ways. Wifi router isnt the greatest but it could get the job done. you're best bet if possible is to run a shielded CAT6. if you dont care about cash set up a pair of parabolics on each building :)

The distance between the buildings is approx 80 to 100 feet. The second building is an old church, and has thick walls covered in stone and brick.

A WiFi router is a wireless router or something that bounces signal?

The current discussion is whether to get cable for the other building. TWC is offering cable and phone for $35 each for 2 years, but then business class cable service will jump to $110 after that 2 year period. We already pay $110 a month for cable in building #1.

thats not a horrible distance at all. I would try to run a cable between the buildings, or a point to point t1.

I have an N router, but the laptops in the other building all have G wireless.
I tried the N cards and N USB adapters and found them to be less effective.

I really just want a repeater that I could plug in and set in the window to transmit the signal through out the building.

Fiber between buildings is the only way to go. Wireless technologies get the job done, but aren't nearly as secure as a hard-wired connection. You can't use copper between buildings, there's a reason fiber is the standard intra-building medium.

Even if you ignore the security aspect of running copper between buildings, (copper can be tapped without either end knowing) you can't connect a device to a switch through copper which is on a different ground level (ground loop). The technology just wasn't designed that way.

You also need to consider lightning and induced voltages, which I have seen take out a few switches because they ran copper for some temporary buildings (to save money), which in accordance with electrical code, all had their own ground. The floating voltages killed the switch's port within a few days, the first good rain actually. If you want to replace endpoint hardware, go ahead and use copper, but in the end fiber is going to be cheaper.

BLUF: If you do the install correctly, there may not be any issues with using copper for inter-building connections.

I re-read that and it sounds like I'm completely against copper between buildings. That's not completely true. You can do it, just it takes a lot of preparatory work, on both the buildings' termination points. Just know that it could become an issue, and take that into account whenever you troubleshoot the link.

One thing that we used to do a lot of is PairGains, AKA Campus T1/E1. Look into that. If you'd like, I might still have a few I can sell, or you can look on eBay for them. They should be extremely cheap. In some places, I'm sure they're still used for endpoints in our nation's classified secure telecommunications network.

Here's some reading material:

Please explain/clarify: cat5 between buildings, grounding issues etc. - Topic Powered by Eve Community

Lighting arrestor to dampen the ground voltage differential | Ask Metafilter

http://www.adc.com/us/en/Library/Te...Library&C=DSL&L=Broadband+micro-DLC&G=PG-Flex

the linksys entender only works with linksys routers
i canned the linksys router after it shit the bed
opted for dlink

dlink no longer offers range entenders
they can sell me a wired access point
or i can buy 2, and hardwire one in Building one and use the other as a wireless distribution system with access point in building 2
230 a pop, not cost effective

the extender was exactly what i was looking for, good find E

the linksys entender only works with linksys routers
i canned the linksys router after it shit the bed
opted for dlink

dlink no longer offers range entenders
they can sell me a wired access point
or i can buy 2, and hardwire one in Building one and use the other as a wireless distribution system with access point in building 2
230 a pop, not cost effective

the extender was exactly what i was looking for, good find E

Id say your gonna have to go fuck yourself... quit stealing internet from a church! YOUR GOING TO HELL!!!

Under 100 ft I'd bury cat 5 in conduit. Do it right the first time and have a good solid high speed connection. Then if you upgrade to fiber or something later you can pull it through the conduit. One inch is like 3 bucks a stick. With wire and sweeps and all that crap you could do it for under 100 bucks. Now all you have to do is find someone to dig an 80 ft ditch!

Last edited:
here's the kicker
the original contractor already dug the trench, its just sitting there

A point to point T1/PRI is going to be the best solution as Turbo had mentioned. Anything you run underground will eventually go bad. I don't care if its an exterior cable or not. It'll end up going bad. A point to point T1/PRI runs through the internet provider and allows Building B to run off Building As internet at par with the same speeds.

as of now it looks like they are going to go with the additional hookup
which blows cause we just bought this wireless router, and I got the N range in hopes it would be sufficient.

damn al gore for not inventing the internet better!

A point to point T1/PRI is going to be the best solution as Turbo had mentioned. Anything you run underground will eventually go bad. I don't care if its an exterior cable or not. It'll end up going bad. A point to point T1/PRI runs through the internet provider and allows Building B to run off Building As internet at par with the same speeds.

:werd:

Back