Internet between buildings

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

A point to point T1/PRI is going to be the best solution as Turbo had mentioned. Anything you run underground will eventually go bad. I don't care if its an exterior cable or not. It'll end up going bad. A point to point T1/PRI runs through the internet provider and allows Building B to run off Building As internet at par with the same speeds.

If you run it 18" under ground, in PVC conduit, it won't go bad. Hell, it CAN'T go bad. Its like sealing it up in a ziplock baggie. I've even seen runs that had leaked and filled with water that still worked perfectly fine. Its hard wired copper. Unless you put the conduit together shitty, AND nick the cable, its bullet proof.

If you run it 18" under ground, in PVC conduit, it won't go bad. Hell, it CAN'T go bad. Its like sealing it up in a ziplock baggie. I've even seen runs that had leaked and filled with water that still worked perfectly fine. Its hard wired copper. Unless you put the conduit together shitty, AND nick the cable, its bullet proof.

Verizon buries their shit just under 2' down. It WILL go bad. It may be 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 20 years. but it will eventually get corroded.

The outside protective sheething only last so long. Point to Points are the absolute best way to do this.

im not too keen on wireless either, however you could try using a 3rd party firmware ie DDWRT, Tomato, etc.. and use their repeater client bridge mode.

i have two Linksys WRT54G and with mentioned mode, i get full bandwidth and reception across an approximate 2600 sq ft home. Where as with us a usb G adapter, i got 3 out of 5 bar reception and about 80% speed. But one thing does suffer and that is ping time. It added about 30-40 ms. Another feature is the ability to up volts on the antennaes to increase range.

granted anything is hackable, if you set mac filters, use WPA2 AES with maximum set values and integrate numbers, characters, itll be pretty damn hard to crack.

yeah you can spoof mac addys, brute force encryption, etc.. and even use graphic cards to enhance the attack, itll still take a while.

anyway, i always prefer wired over wireless because of the mentioned security issues, but also for the increased reliability.

I had a friend that works for the school radio station. He was doing a live broadcast of a relay for life event in the school parking lot and was having trouble getting a good signal. He put a wireless usb ethernet card inside of a steel bowl and mounted it on a mic stand and pointed it towards the school. He claimed that he was getting full signal.

Directional Pringle can antennas to extend your wireless range. :D

lmao Ground wire will do the same thing. I did that with a radio at one of our big wiring jobs. Some dude had a radio that had horrid reception so I stuck a long chunk of ground wire on the antenna and wrapped it around a pipe in the ceiling. Worked great after that. lol

lmao Ground wire will do the same thing. I did that with a radio at one of our big wiring jobs. Some dude had a radio that had horrid reception so I stuck a long chunk of ground wire on the antenna and wrapped it around a pipe in the ceiling. Worked great after that. lol

That did something else entirely. I'll have to get into the theory behind this sometime.

Dunno, you tell me. Most of my engineering buddies are way beyond swapping stuff into Hondas. :shrug2:

Heh, I've never swapped anything into my own car. I've helped people do it, but that's it.

I'd rather build up the engine and eek every little bit of torque out of it without changing the displacement.

Oh. But you're only 21- how are you an engineer already?

The swapping part is easy... building the engine is harder. Increasing torque without increasing displacement is difficult. ;)

The swapping part is easy... building the engine is harder. Increasing torque without increasing displacement is difficult. ;)

Mike, thats why you have NAWZ.

anyway, on TechTV (before it was G4), they ghetto rigged a router with clothes hangers (wire of course) wrapped with aluminum foil and made it into a parabola. it actually increased signal.... so could be a fun experiment? then dump ddwrt into and overclock that mother with more mhz and voltages!

I'm not an engineer yet, close though.

Ah, ok. I've never done a day of real design in my professional career. Tooling with pencil and napkins yes, real hardcore stuff no. :( Lots of troubleshooting though.

Mike, thats why you have NAWZ.

:werd:

anyway, on TechTV (before it was G4), they ghetto rigged a router with clothes hangers (wire of course) wrapped with aluminum foil and made it into a parabola. it actually increased signal.... so could be a fun experiment? then dump ddwrt into and overclock that mother with more mhz and voltages!

:werd:

I tend to hardwire everything though. Only the PS3 runs on wireless, and that will change soon too. Maybe one of these days I'll actually get into playing with my router, but I've never really understood the fascination. As long as I get my fat pipe down/uplink I'm happy.

I loved TechTV in the old days!

Back