Interview Appearance, how important is it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I think its really important to a certain extent. Like what kind of job your going for. Me i have tattoos on my throat hands head and all of that shit so haha i would be stupid to try and interview for a Doctors spot even if i had 7 years of exp no one will want to hire me. Thats why i stick with welding and custom fab and tattooing. I love it anyway FTW

I would have shot him nine times and been like, "make a record about that homie."

lmfao. that was funny as shit.

i have tats too, not on my neck, but on that goes a little past my elbow, and one on my wrist.

very open to be seen, but nothing vulgar. and just black right now, and if the become a problem i can wear a long sleeve shirt and you cant see them.

I just landed an interview at a mechanical engineering firm this week and am contemplating whether a shirt, tie and slacks is enough or not. My office i work in as a drafter is super chill, jeans and tshirt and a hoodie everyday, but by the couple pics on this other firms website it looks like a real nice office.

when in doubt. full suit.
it would hurt more to show up underdressed than overdressed.
full suit, and have it pressed.

My broke ass doesn't have a suit. i dont even have dress shoes, gotta buy some tomorrow

i wear atleast NICE jeans with my pinstriped button up shirt and dress shoes ... but that is for like fast food and stuff ... khakis for anything more

this job i have now was my first desk job. When i first started it was a chill place downstairs in the "dungeon". Since they moved me to my cube in the Corp offices i make it a point to wear my polo/dress shirts tucked in. I dont have dress pants anymore since my fat ass cant fit in them but i do have jeans that are my size. Not extra loose, wide legged or something like that . I slip those on with black dress shoes and belt and bam. casual

i wouldnt have hired that dude either. I have seen so many Emplyers that dont see the fact dress attire reflects on the person personality. If he dresses gangsta on the street fine but we dont need a gangsta in the work place. If the same person shows up in dress attire it means that he's professional and serious about his job. Mojority of the time thats what your gonna get. Who cares how he dresses outside of the work place.

Here in Tally the work attire has drastically gone down hill. I went to wendy's last night and there was this dike who had her shirt half way out and pant 2 sizes to big halfway down her ass. All the the workers talking about their personall life cursing and such. Why would a customer want to hear that crap? same goes at Wallmart,publix,waffle house almost everywhere. I wish i was the owners and could walk around just firing people left and right.

sadly enough my sister thinks she's gangsta. One minute she's talking normal. As soon as she talks to her friend her ebonics comes out and you'd swear she has no education past the second grade...hmmm

i like watching MTV when the rappers come on and start babbling bout stupid shit....

and then afterwards me n my friends try to figure out wtf he just said ....

and then we give up because iits just some dumb "Gangsta" babbling about stupid shit

and you wonder how the hell they live.

Lets see. I pay you to say shit about how you are a baller when you really arent. How you shot and how your gonna kill someone when you havent...hence your not in jail. And then i wanna hear about how you treat every women...except momma like shit and how they are worthless hoes. THEN! if i want to hear about so slow jambs i'll listen about you and god and how there is a gangsta heaven. Its society giving them all that money.

old school rap was way better than now.

yeah no thanks. to stay on topic those guys dress like because it makes them money in their line of work and so society now sees it as ok. So now parents let their kids dress that way because of the fashion and then it seeps in out work force. Whick is why this gangster thread came about.lol

for the record its not only gangtsa's its to all that try to bring their personal dress attire to the work force. it could be a punk with spiky hair 12ft tall for that matter.

tattos i really dont care. As long as you do the best to cover them up to look presentable its ok with me.

Celerity's weigh-in on the topic.

I just had a conversation about this here at Work. (I work for an ivy league). We are holding interviews currently.

The interviewERs are required to wear suits. And even more to the point, black suits.

It's not done as a way of hiding your nature, wearing a suit is not a matter of winning a fashion show - it's done to show "Respect to the process".

This is very important. When you wear a suit, even if it's not perfect (As long as you're honestly trying) you are respecting the process. That means you are showing those around you that you take this seriously. It's like putting your elbows on the table when you're a guest. Even when you're at Freddy the Knife's biker party, you keep your elbows off to pay respect. It's not a matter of appearance.

That said, you show up to an interview of mine without the suit (Or a reasonable attempt at one (100+ degree days) and I won't interview you.

i always ask the dress code/attire of the firm if i'm going on an interview

even if you show up in a $100 wal mart suit, its better than street clothes

this guy could have had an explanation
maybe you sounded too lax on the phone?
maybe he didn't have a ride to go get different clothes?
i personally don't judge cause i know too many smart minds that hide behind less than spectacular clothing, but i also don't have the responsibility of hiring people

Well I'm gonna head to mine in a nice blue dress shirt, dark red tie, khakis and whatever dress shoes i can buy. It should be fine. From what i have seen, most engineering/arch offices are somewhat relaxed unless they are meeting w/ clients. I just had another electrical engineering firm call today and got lucky because they interviewed over the phone :)

It's like putting your elbows on the table when you're a guest. Even when you're at Freddy the Knife's biker party, you keep your elbows off to pay respect. It's not a matter of appearance.

but if you find yourself in germany, make sure to put your elbows on the table.
its actually rude to not put your elbows on the table, if you dont, people think that you're trying to hide something.

i always ask the dress code/attire of the firm if i'm going on an interview

even if you show up in a $100 wal mart suit, its better than street clothes

this guy could have had an explanation
maybe you sounded too lax on the phone?
maybe he didn't have a ride to go get different clothes?
i personally don't judge cause i know too many smart minds that hide behind less than spectacular clothing, but i also don't have the responsibility of hiring people

yeah, i may have sounded kinda lax on the phone, but just the area i work in (upper class side of town) you should know better.
and the main reason for not hiring was bc he just didnt sound like a very motivated type of person. kinda sluggish in movements(might have been bc he was trying to keep his pants up) and just an overall impression of lazy.

Well I'm gonna head to mine in a nice blue dress shirt, dark red tie, khakis and whatever dress shoes i can buy. It should be fine. From what i have seen, most engineering/arch offices are somewhat relaxed unless they are meeting w/ clients. I just had another electrical engineering firm call today and got lucky because they interviewed over the phone :)

:thumbsup: just make sure your hair is nice.

Back