Interview help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok, so it was this morning. i got a whole 3-4 hours sleep because i was nervous.

but overall i think the interview went really well. i was friendly, personable, and engaging. i asked questions back and was attentive, etc. i kind of lost track on a few questions but hopefully i made up for it with my answers on others.

it was also really weird. ALL the questions that i was nervous about responding to and practiced the most for were not even asked.

ask about GPA? nope
"tell me about yourself" nope
"why should we hire you? what makes you unique? etc" nope
"why did you choose AE?" nope

almost everyone ive talked to said these questions will be asked. but she didnt. she had a list of questions that apparently every new hire gets. i answered them the best i could, and then we took the tour. she gave me A LOT of detail on what they do day to day and their training/certification process. then we went back to her office where we had the interview and discussed pay, benefits, etc. it makes me hopeful that she gave me so much info, but i dont want to jump to conclusions. she said she'l let me know by thurs/fri. if i get picked i'll have to go do the drug test, paper work etc.

keeping my fingers crossed :)

i knew they wouldnt' ask about gpa, i'm surprised about the others though. they must just have a standard questionnaire.

did you interview them as well? is this something you WANT to do?

tell us about the job.

if they gave you a call back date, you're at least a consideration. usually if you're not, you get a thanks, and you'll being hearing from us.

i knew they wouldnt' ask about gpa, i'm surprised about the others though. they must just have a standard questionnaire.

did you interview them as well? is this something you WANT to do?

tell us about the job.
its DEFINITELY something i want to do. working with NASA satellites and missions could be no better way to start my career in this field, imo.

but basically what they do is flight operations for the Earth Observing System (EOS) satellites. the satellites are constantly orbiting in polar orbits taking pictures and collecting various data about the planet. it is their job to insure data integrity and get all the data downloaded via satellite when it is in range. if you dont get the data, it gets overwritten and the scientist who want the data get pissed. they usually only have like 10-20 mins to get the data each time around. and deal with any issues that might prevent data aquisition (like downed antennas, etc) they also insure that the satellite stays flying and in orbit. the online engineers (what i interviewed for) are the first line of defense when something goes wrong. they can directly submit commands to the spacecraft to change its orbit, or do other things. that's the gist of it, but its a lot more complicated. there is a 3-4month training/certification period before you can actually do any of this work lol.

Congrats! In my experience, if they talk pay and benefits you are in the door.

Awesome! I'm glad you did well. I'm surprised that they talked about pay already, but if they really like you it can come up in a first interview. Congratulations!

If they talked about benefits and pay in the first interview then it looks like it's pretty much in the bag. Congrats dude, you killed it!

If you want help with interacting with people, start to look into intelligence gathering techniques. Look at interrogation manuals, etc. You'd be surprised how much you can use in even casual encounters.

A good start is here:
http://www.army.mil/institution/armypublicaffairs/pdf/fm2-22-3.pdf

then here:
https://akocomm.us.army.mil/usapa/doctrine/DR_pubs/dr_c/pdf/fm3_05x401.pdf

https://akocomm.us.army.mil/usapa/doctrine/DR_pubs/dr_b/pdf/fm2_91x4.pdf

https://akocomm.us.army.mil/usapa/doctrine/DR_pubs/dr_b/pdf/fm2_01x3.pdf

If you read all those, you'll be both extremely prepared to handle what they're going to try to do, but you'll have an edge over the other candidates. Srsly. Read.

EDIT: Looks like awptickes is the last one to the party. :(

haha its ok man.

buuuttttt...... it looks like i GOT THE JOB! :)

the interviewer just emailed me in response to my thank you letter. she said that she wants to offer me the job but can't because i "applied" outside the normal proceses. she instructed me to apply via the website and she will get back with me on the offer details. i'm so happy!

my brother is friends with a Lockheed employee that works at GSFC. he told my brother that they had an open position at Honeywell there. my brother told me, i sent my resume to the Lockheed guy, he forwarded it to Honeywell hiring manager, and the rest is history :) networking FTW

i can't hire you becuase you didn't fill out a form? really?

that job is going to fucking blow ass. you're going to hate that it takes 23432423 weeks and $1.1 million to get approval for something that takes 2 min and $4 to complete

i hate corporate america. its so retarded.

i think it's just considered due process. hell, i've known companies that have interviewed and hired people even before the job is posted.

they just want hr to have all of the information. that way they can do background checks etc. same as filling out a paper application.

Back