iPhone announced today, holy crap.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkHand

VIP
Steve Jobs announced the Apple iPhone this morning.

This might mean that I'm finally starting to get old, but this is the first device I've seen that actually looks ahead of its time. You know how some older people are absolutely floored when they see certain computers or electronic devices? "Oh my God, the wonders of modern technology!" Like that. First time.

Full screen interface, no actual buttons. Built in video iPod. The damn thing runs the entire OSX OS. Full Safari browser. Google maps. 802.11b/g. Bluetooth. A proximity sensor knows when you're holding it to your ear and shuts down the display to prevent accidental button presses. Built in accelerometer that knows which orientation you're holding it in, and adjusts accordingly.

Oh did I mention that it's the first commercial implementation of a multi-touch touchscreen? Remember that large drafting-table size multitouch video linked here a while ago? That tech runs the interface. 'Pinch' a photo to shrink it, pull your fingers apart to enlarge it, etc.

First read the Engadget minute-by-minute update of the keynote speech from Macworld this morning. I was refreshing every minute to watch the presentation 'live':

Live from Macworld 2007: Steve Jobs keynote - Engadget

After that, go to the official iPhone site and check out the little presentations they have for different features:

Apple - iPhone

Last edited:
or just go here and watch it.. Apple - QuickTime - Special Event - It's Showtime

It looks badass. Too bad i replaced the battery in my ipod and it fixed its freezing problem. Sooooo since i dont want to read all that shit, what does it do that sayyyyy the palm treo 7000, motorola q, blackjack, and blackberry dont??

The one thing im lookin at from apple is the AppleTV thing.

Sooooo since i dont want to read all that shit, what does it do that sayyyyy the palm treo 7000, motorola q, blackjack, and blackberry dont??

Ooh cool, thanks for the link.

As usual for an Apple product, it's the little things in the interface and design that set it apart. The multitouch being the big thing, it was predicted that it would fundamentally change computer interfaces, and it already looks to be making huge waves in the very first device its used in. The accelerometer, the proximity sensor, down to little things like the touch slider to unlock the phone. You slide a slider on the screen to unlock, something that can't happen in your pocket. Plus the fact that it's also a full-fledged video ipod.

Tie ins to Google and Yahoo... Full Google maps support. Look up a point of interest, find the nearest Starbucks. One touch and you're calling them.

Listening to a song on the ipod when a coll comes in, it fades out and alerts you to the call. When you're done the music fades back in.

Looking through your photo album, turn the phone on its side and you automatically change to a widescreen view. The multitouch lets you pan and zoom intuitively, with the 'pinch' and other gestures mentioned before.

Full IMAP email for free from Yahoo. Push-type email just like a blackberry, but for free from Yahoo for all iPhones.

Visual voicemail. Look at all your voicemails at a glance and touch the one you want to listen to. No skipping around an audio menu.

That's just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Yeah, Apple has never done anything that another PC couldn't. In fact, it happens to go the opposite way most of the time :)

I'll buy one. I'm really happy with my Ipod. I want a mac computer as well as a PC. They're so functional for what I do "most of the time" with my PC, much more than it is.

If One comes out for Verizon... I AM SO THERE.

If One comes out for Verizon... I AM SO THERE.

I work for Verizon and would be willing to switch carriers to Cingular for this. :ph34r:

Besides, Verizon would cripple its bluetooth functionality like it does for all its phones. :mad:

I hope it comes out for cingular. I'm out of contract, and I don't want to sign a new one :)

dammit, i think i have another 2 years starting this just past December. Can you plug it into a tv like the regular video ipods?

Meanwhile... Apple announces their Nextel version...

apple_newton_mp_100.gif

I hope it comes out for cingular. I'm out of contract, and I don't want to sign a new one :)

They have an exclusive contract with Cingular, so that's the only place you'll be able to get it for the foreseeable future.

cingular sucks. i boycott it. why? i have a stalker who wants my boyfriend... she's his ex... and she's corporate. i hope they get rid of her job and she goes broke.

ok.... seriously... i hate cingular's coverage here... and their customer service is horrendous. i'll stick with nextel... which by the way no one chirps me...

but yea... if it were on tmobile... i'd nix getting a sidekick to get it.

EDIT: sorry... i'm a bit drunk, so i may say things i'll regret tomorrow....

Back