iPhone OS 4 Released

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I think that if you ever want to upgrade, you'll be forced into that other data plan when the contract changes. I think it was on Consumerist where I read that.

Nope. All the news releases I saw said that old unlimited users would get to keep theirs on upgrades.

Ok so I installed OS4 on my phone. I like the aesthetics of the new dock design, the way the icons move when opening and closing apps, the folders, and the ability to change the background.

It doesn't really seem much faster than 3.x. If it's any faster I can't tell, but ice never had an issue with speed anyway. But am I missing something? Where's this multitasking that was hyped up? I open an app, then another, but the first app doesn't stay open, it closes just like before. I thought multitasking was one of the "OMG" features of OS4? this upgrade seems like just visual changes to me.

This all on my 16GB 3GS.

iPhone OS does not have true multitasking. Here is a write up on how it works

iPhone OS 4 multitasking explained, again | When Will Apple?

WebOS is one of the only mobile OSs that multitasks in the traditional sense. On my Pre I open up my mail program, twitter client, hondaswap in the browser and the Engadget app and they all load at the same time. Each and every program is loading data at the same time.

Safari stays open. And will load pages in the background. But it did that before. I honestly don't see any difference in "multitasking" vs 3.x

Looks like the apps are slowly being updated to support the multitasking. The few that do it are working pretty nicely. Comes right back to where it was.

I updated as well, half my apps don;t work yet. I now have a 'End Call" phone bug when i hang up with someone the screen goes blank and i can;t get it to turn back on and the "slide bar" to unlock the phone won't move. I'm not seeing the effective of the multitasking yet, but maybe i need to wait until all the apps have been updated.

Not very impressed. I'm dropping ATT anyway going back to Verizon when the Droid X comes out. About 15-20 drop calls a week, 3g has not been connecting all that much, ATT network just flat out sucks ass. My girl has a blackberry trhough ATT from work and her 3g sucks as well and the drop calls are rediculous for her as well.

And also, my email will show that i have a new message pending, but it doesn't show up until like 10-15 minutes in my inbox...

Also, since the update, i have allot of trouble connecting to the Itunes store from my phone. Never had that problem before the patch.

Last edited:
yeah 3G has definately been SUCKING. most of the time i cannot connect to the itunes store. however my email/mms and internet have been working great, although slow.

The new software most definitely slows the phone down. Though it may not be noticeable in all situations.

Example: I have the Sonic the Hedgehog game. It ran perfectly before at full speed before on 3.x. Now it runs slow, even with nothing running in the background. The sound and gameplay is both reduced to maybe 75-80%. Granted I'm sure it's a CPU intensive app for the phone, but there's obviously less resources available to run the game. Maybe it just needs updated.

i havent experienced any changes with my apps. still breezy as ever, even with leaving everything running.

my battery life has increased exponentially, and the charge time has shortened while tethered.

Back