Iphone Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
So the iphone came out today. just wondering if anybody has/will buy one anytime soon.

I'm surprised how thin it is. Still too expensive for my taste though.

Wish i worked for apple.
On June 28 2007, during an address to Apple employees, Steve Jobs announced that all full-time Apple employees and those part-time employees that have been with the company at least one year would receive a free iPhone. Employees will get their phones in July after the initial demand subsides.[46]

IPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

only on cingular/att if i rmember corectly... which means i won't ever own one.

wish i bought apple stock 6 months ago at 80 bucks though. 122 today :(

that was one of the five stocks i've been following on google.

sirius, aaple, deutch telecom (at&t), gateway, and gamestop.

apple and Dt kick ass. the others have sucked.

i will get one in december when they allow corporate to buy them.

I won't even think about it until it supports basic stuff like 3G, MMS, IM, has more memory or at least memory card slots. Fuck the iPhone, my Blackjack does all of that. But OMG the screen turns sideways!!! Yeah, my 6700 did that. Fuck you Apple, you could have had a good product. But hats off to their marketing department.
iPhone facts from the first reviews - Engadget

iPhone facts from the first reviews

Posted Jun 26th 2007 8:19PM by Ryan Block
Filed under: Cellphones
Well, the first reviews are in. But you may have missed some of the more interesting factoids unearthed by the trio of gadget reporters deigned worthy by El Jobso to get a pre-launch iPhone. Here's a few fresh n' interesting iPhone facts right off the presses:

* The mobile version of OS X or whatever it is the iPhone runs takes up 700MB of the device's capacity. Damn son!
* There's no way to cut, copy, or paste text! WHOA! Big, big mistake.
* No A2DP support. That, friends, is such a huge bummer right there.
* Sorry, music can't be used as a ringtone -- even if it's just a raw MP3. No additional ringtones will be sold at launch.
* On a PC the iPhone syncs with Outlook for calendars AND addresses! Noice.
* It supports Exchange in some capacity, according to Walt, but he doesn't exactly say how.
* Pogue again confirms document file reading -- but not editing -- for PDF, Word, and Excel (only).
* Adobe Flash support is officially out. It's just not in the browser. Neither is there any other kind of embedded video support. Sorry everybody, that's that.
* It will take snaps, but won't record video. How can Apple love YouTube as much as it does and not realize cellphone-shot movies make up a sizeable chunk of the crazy crap you find on there?

More after the break!

* Oh, and no MMS. And sorry, no voice dialing, either.
* Contact groups can't be emailed as contact lists.
* Apple sez between 300-400 charges the iPhone will lose battery capacity -- you'll send it in and get the cell replaced for a fee. Meh. We knew this would be the case, but still, meh.
* Apple can (and supposedly will) be rolling out periodic updates -- no surprise there.
* Battery life is, somehow, almost as mind-blowingly good as Apple claims for calls, music, and movies.
* As we suspected, users are prompted with lists of WiFi networks if you're not nearby a trusted hotspot. We've seen this on other phones, and we're afraid this would get friggin annoying.
* It's said to be very scratch resistant. The facade both front and rear apparently just doesn't pick up marring like regular iPods do.
* Voice quality is said to be good -- not great.

Last edited:
Whats your initial thought on it?? I like to see real reviews from real people.

Here is my first impression of the Apple IPhone.

The size is good. I feel it is no bigger than my Blackberry 7100 series as shown here.

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

The navigation on the phone is very simple and straight to the point. The keyboard however is for the thin fingered folk. I am 6'3'' 235lbs and I sometimes fat finger the keys. But is is not often, so it is not too big of a complaint. To run down a list of the home page.

1. SMS
Great layout on the text messaging and i love how it looks visually. It is well organized and easy to manage.

DSC00595.jpg

2. Calender
It is pretty straight foward just like a microsoft outlook is formatted.

3. Photos and Camera
The way to scale through photos is clever. You can just run your hand across the face of the phone and scroll through them all. You can enlarge or crop with the "flick" of your finger. The same way the Microsoft picture table works. The camera is decent quality noted below with a picture of my dining room table.

diningroom.jpg

4. You Tube
Is a fairly large sampling of you tube videos to watch on the go. It even has the larger ones like the guy interpreting dance for like 8 minutes. It plays flawlessly with no lag.

5. Stocks
Are very much like C-SPAN. I check my 2 I own in a matter of minutes.

6. Google Maps
Great interface and easy to find destinations. You also click on the site you would like to visit and it brings up the phone number, address and website to check out. You can even click the number and it calls for you.

DSC00596.jpg

DSC00597.jpg

7. Weather
Gives detailed 6 day forecasts

8. Clock, Calculator and Notes
Self explanatory

The Ipod feature is on point. I love the way it is setup and how you choose songs. You listen to a song, turn the phone 90 degrees and it turns into an album view and you pick the album cover to play.

DSC00600.jpg

DSC00601.jpg

The service from what i can tell at this time is great. Every phone i have had has lost service on my way home through this wooded area. This is the only phone that hasnt dropped the call. This may have been a fluke but ill run with it.

It uses a standard safari browser with imported mozilla favorites. All i do is plug it into my computer and it configures my email for me. No matter if it is my work email, or my personal it is there. The battery life is to be determined, but i have been using this in my car for 2+ hours, and talking and showing it off all day and i am still at 45% battery. The speakers sound great playing music through it, good highs and actually has some bass.

Overall for my first 8 hours with it... great. I didn't wait in no long ass lines, i just walked in and bought one. Let me know if you have any questions.

Well i don't live in a forest, but i do live drive through a heavily wooded reservoir to come home everyday and i always drop a call going down that road. But now i am golden :)

i played with one for about 20 minutes today.

things i've noticed.

1)the speaker sucks ass. i didn't try the mp3 with headphones, but it's worthless to listen to music to. i'm assuming the ring tones suck to. blackberry curve owns as far as an mp3 player function.

2)the qwerty keyboard is a pain in the ass. i'm not that big (6'1" 175lbs) and my fingers would hit multiple keys also.

3)the calender is easy to use. easy access and usage, but still not a fan of the keyboard.

4)the google maps kicks ass. you can do regular maps or satellite images.

5)I LOVE the stock function. it's a homepage key on the phone. nice work apple.

6)the camera sucks. 1.3 megapixels is the same as my razr. the 2.0 megapixel from the blackberry curve is way better.

7)the internet option is pretty cool. its easy to navigate.

8)it's really thin, really small. but it's not too light. there is substance to it.

overall, it's a cool ass phone and multimedia item. i'm still leaning towards the blackberry curve though.

They should give a stylus for those who are 'fat fingered' or what have you... I gotta say though, I hate fingerprints on the screen so I would be driven nuts by constantly 'cleaning it' and it moving apps for me. it does look pretty, but I think I'll keep my sidekick. :)

EDIT: the cam is only 1.3 mp? So is my sidekicks. Wow, that's lame. I would have expected it to be way better.

haha i phones are hot one problem
apple signed a five year contract with AT&T and the internet connection is not fast enough for the new phone so they work just as fast as a black berry and AT&T doens't give a fuck cause they have a signed deal and apple cant back out 50 billion dollar deal on the line if apple goes back on there deal they still have to pay AT&T
so not to knock you peps that have them but have fun with your 1500 dollar phone ..............LOL = i'm all set with my black berry

o- yeah and there going on ebay for 15 hundred now LMFAO

i paid retail... 600. But i was in need of a second ipod (the woman adopted mine) So for another 250 i got a phone. Oh and that is the screen protector on my phone so it looks like finger prints. But it has a flat finish that somehow doesn't attract anything.

a stylus won't work on it. it's made for especially for finger contact.

the other thing i don't like, it took a while to get use to not having a "back" button. you just push the big round button at the bottom.

It has a back button for most things. The only one i havent noticed was the brower. You physically have to double click it to go back. Im stil seeing how my "fat fingeritus" works out. If it is a hinderence i am returning the phone. If i get better then i keep it.

Last edited:
Im stil seeing how my "fat fingeritus" works out. If it is a hinderence i am returning the phone. If i get better then i keep it.
thats the #1 thing that will keep me from buying it. i think i'm going with the blackberry curve.

They give vme 14 days to try it out... if i dont like it i save myself 600 bucks. All i do is pay for the services i used which would be an additional 10 bucks for the internet. So it is a win win for the time being.

Back