ipod in car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pills_PMD

VIP
well, i've been considering a way to integrate my ipod into the s2000, but i've been seeing several different ways of doing it. just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with either of these:

http://www.neocaraudio.com/prod-ion.html

http://www.monstercable.com/icruze/survey/...nfo_icruze1.asp

the iCruze looks cool, but it completely kills functionality... you have to use playlists and can't browse by artist etc. which is how i have my ipod set up

You might look into one of the new Alpine head units and their iPod module... that way you can upgrade the head unit at the same time.

also, i forgot to mention that using the integrated controls (to the left of the steering wheel) is a function I would like to keep.

i have my ipod hooked up to my truck w/ that belkin car adapter thingy w/ a 1/8" to rca cable running to the input in the back of my alpine from the output on the car adapter. it's pretty much the simplest way of hooking it up other than one of those wack ass fm brodcaster thingys. as ghetto rigged as it sounds, it actually dosen't look all that bad (not that i care in my truck). but it would be super easy to hide all of it and just have a wire w/ the dock connecter coming out from wherever you want it behind the dash and you just control the songs and everything from your ipod and the volume with the deck. i guess i'll snap a picture later just 'cause.

here's a link to the belkin thing: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=149006

cal also has a point though, the alpine setup is pretty sick from what i've read about it... here's a link to that: http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading...ch_kca-420i.htm

Just saw this on the S2K section of honda-tech, though you might want to read through this:
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1101709
Oh and in my roommates '03 civic, we went to radio shack, and bought a female head phone jack to male RCA adapter, and plugged it into the input jack on his Alpine deck. Then We drilled a hole in his dash and glued the female headphone jack adapter to a rubber gromit, put the gromit in the dash and it almost looks factory. We then plug the iPod into the headphone jack via a male to male head phone plug.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer+Jan 2 2005, 05:45 PM-->
Just saw this on the S2K section of honda-tech, though you might want to read through this:
[post=440230]Quoted post[/post]​
He wants to control it from his head unit.
h22bubbleback
@Jan 2 2005, 07:08 PM
Belkin Tunecast FM transmitter....$30. But i dont care about anything unique and "cool", i just want the job done
[post=440254]Quoted post[/post]​

He doesn't want to use an FM transmitter.

-----

B's got the link.

thanks guys. i don't object to using RCA's to the headphone jack, but i'm not sure if the s2 radio has aux inputs like that. i dont believe it does.

I seriously doubt that the OEM radio has an auxiliary input. I'm getting the Alpine- especially if it works with my current 7998 head unit. If not, I may just sell it and get a newer Alpine, then plug in the iPod.

Your first link says that you can keep the steering wheel controls- give them a call and find out.

mini coopers's have the rca input on the back, and the Element actually has an AUX 1/8 input jack to hook up media like that. Alot of new cars are coming out with ways to attach MP3 players to them. For my iPod, on my POS awia deck has a 1/8 input jack on the front so I just hook it up through that. Take out your radio and see if you have any imputs back there. Older honda's don't but maybe the newer ones are diffrent. (Yea, I know that was alot of rambleing, but maybe it helped)

yea i am sure someone on honda-tech will know if they have the inputs.. i dont believe they do.... and i was trying to avoid taking shit out if i dont have to. the car is all put up for the winter and i dont feel like going into it

Originally posted by pills_PMD@Jan 3 2005, 06:21 PM
i meant if i were to upgrade to the alpine unit. somehow still connect the external audio controls
[post=440673]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh. I don't know about that one.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jan 4 2005, 09:28 AM-->
pills_PMD
@Jan 3 2005, 06:21 PM
i meant if i were to upgrade to the alpine unit. somehow still connect the external audio controls
[post=440673]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh. I don't know about that one.
[post=440896]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes you can. They sell a new wirharness that lets you keep the use of your steering wheel controls. I just put a atfermarket radio in my sisters accord and we used a specail wirharness that let her keep the functions on her steering wheel. Let me check it out and see were she got it from.

great thanks man. if you could get me a link that'd be solid

Just a thought Pills.

Isn't there a way to hook in a CD changer on almost every new Honda by using the right harness? I would talk to a dealer and see if it is possible. If so, you could probably go the RCA jack route. I don't think you could control the IPOD with your steering wheel, but you would still have your stock setup.

Back