ipod vs zune vs video/mp3 players?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ripperbone

angry bear
Rest In Peace
alright my moms birthday is coming up and she asked for a video ipod. so to her it doesnt matter about the brand, and i know she doesnt know how to put videos on the ipod so I will have to show her and i have never played with a zune.

so i want to hear your reviews on different players.

I dont want to hear "not ipods cause apple sucks" i want to know how easy is it to put videos or dvds on the zune or other mp3/video players. besides the ipod.

Last edited:
I have had 2 seperate ipods. My take overall are good. They are very easy to manage using itunes, and give great ease in ordring songs from itunes itself. So I bought my mother one last year, and she has almost filled it up with music.

My current ipod is a 60gb gen 5.5. This gives great brightness, and easy naivigation. I have about 6000 songs and 30 full dvds, and I have yet to touch 40gb. So. there is plenty of room for expansion. I can also watch the movies using the tv out dfeature, and the supplied rca cables. I have used a Zune, and the controls are the same as a basic mp3 player. I have heard good things about creative zen vs. the ipod. If you are looking for an easy and small mp3 player, look into Creative Zen Stone. It is the equivalent of a shuffle.

IMHO an mp3/video are all the same just diffrent name brands. they all do basically the same thing, how much value do you place in the "ipod" brand name? I have an Ipod, i got a 3rd gen ipod off ebay cheap, the only reason i got an "ipod" was the storage size was what i was looking for and it was cheap on ebay used. I just bought a 20 gig hd to upgrade the storage capcity.

lol ok guys you missed the point !! but thanks for your input on the ipod

i want reviews/thoughts on the other players and how they compare to the ipod, not just the ipod. I have a ipod video and iphone and know all about the ipods, but what I am trying to figure out if it would be better to get my mom something other than a ipod. I have never played with a zune or the creative labs players or ? so i have no idea on them

she travels alot and wants to watch videos when she travels, and i am seeing if it would be easier for her to put videos on the other players vs the ipod

My zune experience was horrible. I was given one, by a corporate client as a holiday gift this year. The Zune software install destroyed my two month old install of Windows XP. Hours of support with Microsoft determined that the only way to go was format and reinstall. I have since downloaded the latest software and it works. Putting movies on it is no where near as easy, as Visual Hub to iTunes on the Mac. Also the Zune interface licks balls compared to the iPod. However, the iPod Classic is kinda laggy compared to the Zune on some interface things, but I would pay for an iPod classic any day over using my free Zune as a daily music player.

My zune experience was horrible. I was given one, by a corporate client as a holiday gift this year. The Zune software install destroyed my two month old install of Windows XP. Hours of support with Microsoft determined that the only way to go was format and reinstall. I have since downloaded the latest software and it works. Putting movies on it is no where near as easy, as Visual Hub to iTunes on the Mac. Also the Zune interface licks balls compared to the iPod. However, the iPod Classic is kinda laggy compared to the Zune on some interface things, but I would pay for an iPod classic any day over using my free Zune as a daily music player.
THANK YOU that was what i was looking for. thanks for the input on the zune

I was thinking about getting a zune also. Anyone have any more input? I just really hate the itunes format.

I know I am a little late to this thread but I have a Zune and have had pretty good experiences with it. Zune is pretty new to the game so they have some growing to do but all in all I am very glad that I waited for something else to come out beside the Ipod.

Both my fiance and I have zunes. We have the original 30gb versions, we bought them about a year ago. We initially bought them because they had more features than the ipods and were cheaper at the time. The zune had an fm radio, and could do wireless transfers that the ipod couldn't do.

I have had the software on a couple machines and it seems to work ok, one with xp the other with vista, it will not work with win2k. It was slightly slow on the older machine, but worked ok. You add the music, pics or video to a sync list. Then when you have everything you want to add, you hit sync. It's got the same itunes like program built in.

The wireless transfer would be great but it only keeps that song on the zune for a few days. They could have changed that on the new ones.

The accessories from microsoft are mega expensive, look around to find off brand chargers for it.

Overall both have been great, I have never really used an ipod much so I can't compare the two though.

I have an 80gb Zune and i think it is amazing compared to my previously owned 30gb iPod.

Zune:
Pros:
  • BIG screen
  • New 80gb zune is same size as iPod
  • Wireless transfer is pretty sweet
  • Zune interface is basically AWESOME
  • High Quality Headphone (much more comfortable than iPods)
  • MUCH more customizable than iPod
  • Doesnt show scratches like the iPod
  • Radio Tuner
  • It seems to be more compatible with Windows than the iPod was
Cons:
  • Official Microsoft Zune accessories are EXPENSIVE (my case cost me $50!)
iPod:
Pros:
  • Very well known
  • You will NEVER find ANYTHING with more accessories than an Apple iPod!
  • Everytime someone thinks of an mp3 player they think iPod (my mom thinks that every mp3 player out there is an iPod cuz thats all she hears about)
  • iTunes software is really good
Cons:
  • iPod stuff is expensive but not as bad as microsofts official stuff
  • The front and back especially get scratched REALLY easy (i bought a case for my iPod and i think it made it worse cuz it just ground the dirt into the system)
  • iPod headphones start to hurt your ears after you have left them in for like 30min
Similarities:
  • Easy to sync music and video to
  • Easy to use interface on both
  • You need to purchase additional software to convert videos into the correct formats
Also, i would highly recommend the following for Video and DVD conversion:

iPod:
Video - Cucusoft iPod Video Converter
DVD - Cucusoft DVD to iPod

Zune:
Video - Cucusoft Zune Video Converter
DVD - Cucusoft DVD to Zune

I purchased both programs and they have allowed me to flawlessly convert and import 100's of DVD's and Videos onto my iPod and Zune.

Back