1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

irony of the day

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by CRX-YEM, Jul 12, 2007.

1. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

So my wife and I got to BJ's wholesale club today we both looked at one of the signs for an isle and asked each other do we need any light bulbs? we both replied no, I don't think so.

Well, we get home and not even an hour later a light bulb in the kitchen ceiling fan burns out, a little later tonight, the bathroom light burns out and the stove surface light goes out. No we do need light bulbs.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  2. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

you must be bored

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

lol. funny shit.

Define ‘irony’: a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane, to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

4. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

I hate to say this, Cyrus, but we are three white dudes short. Or as they say in Ebonics, "We be fucked

5. dveit

dveit Well-Known Member VIP

"Ohh... nothing makes me sadder, than the agent lost his bladder in the...aaairplaneeee."

:bo:

6. Turbo&Auto

Turbo&Auto Nick Go FAST!!

Been there.....So true!!

Get the flourescent(sp?) twisty light bulbs. They cost a lil bit more but they honestly will WAY outlast regular bulbs and they save you money on electric. I've had 1 in my lamp post at the end of my driveway for almost 2 years now. It used to blow about once a month with a regular bulb.

7. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

the issue with those fluorescent bulbs is they contain mercury and MUST be disposed of correctly in order to prevent mercury contamination

most people do not know or do not care that they contain mercury and will simply throw them away in the trash when they burn out... or worse their kids will throw them against something to hear the "pop" that they make...
    this means that as these bulbs become more and more popular mercury contamination and poisoning is going to skyrocket, if people do not properly recycle them, by bringing their old bulbs to a place that is set up for mercury

so yes those bulbs do last a lot longer, and over time will save you money on your electric bill... but without proper recycling they are going to contaminate the hell out of the ground, water, food supply, etc

^^^ that pretty much makes a CFL more dangerous than a cigarette ;)

just something to keep in mind

8. Turbo&Auto

I did not know that.....

9. Bob Vila

Bob Vila ɐןıʌ qoq Admin VIP

Since when did you turn Al Gore? :eek:

10. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

you got arrested for speeding and smoking weed, so someone had to take over.

11. E_SolSi

no steve, im not your father

i just think its important for people to know both sides/multiple angles of an issue
    sure the CFLs last longer and use less energy and could eventually save you money once you recoup the initial higher cost of the bulb... but without proper disposal you are going to poison yourself or others around you... its a compromise much like everything else in life...

you should ask me about ethanol some time :lmao:

12. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Those twisty light bulbs are great for saving electricity. But if you buy them, Keep the Package, and put the reciept in the package. Most of them have a "5 year guarantee!!" on the front of the package, and I have yet to have one make it beyond two years.. So its an endless supply of free lightbulbs after the first purchase. Buy enough to fill the house, and buy one pack of spares, so as they burn out, you can put them back in the package. When the package gets full, exchange it for a new one.

I like to hold companies to their promises. Too many of them get away with selling crap products with a 5 or 10 year guarantee, and never get called on it because it broke 2 years down the road and there is no box or reciept, so they don't have to honor the guarantee.

13. Turbo&Auto

The only problem there is we would lose that package eventually :lol: We're terrible with shit like that unfortunately....

14. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

not great but 1 milligram is better than 5-6

15. Black Widow g2

Black Widow g2 *princess*

Is that how we're getting 'rid' of mercury nowadays?

16. E_SolSi

:shrug:

i dunno.... but cali is trying to make those bulbs law... without any solid plan or infrastructure in place for recycling them and reclaiming the mercury

try to get the word out on this to anyone you know... its important information that is not getting any airtime.... people are so focused on the energy savings that they are not looking at the environmental impact that improper disposal of these bulbs will have...

i have no problem with these CFLs but people need to be responsible with them or else all of our green house gases, carbon emissions and resource depletion arent going to mean dick... because were all going to be dead or insane from mercury poisoning

17. Black Widow g2

Eh, why do you think they put fluoride in our water? They have no way of getting rid of it, and humans can handle it in small increments. Those bulbs are way cheap around here too. like 80 cents for a 2 pack. It blows me away to hear about this...

I will def get the world out. Especially to those with children...

18. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

they put flouride in the water to help our teeth. duh

19. Black Widow g2

Okay. I will tell my dentist that he's wrong about it fucking up my teeth. There's more than that... but I'll leave it alone.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  20. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

Too much will.

Or did i miss the sarcasm?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted