Is a B16 swap really worth it

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RiceRocket55

I just picked up a 91 civic hb 5-speed, and the 90 or so horses it comes with is laughable. It seems like my best bet for a swap is a B16. but that'll only put me at 160.(2500 bucks later) How hard would it be to swap in a h22. price wise the h22's aren't that far away from the B16, and 200hp sounds a little better.

I dunno, I just got done with the b16 swap and I like it. It has potential to be much faster. I think a h22 or anything hydro tranny would be a pain. Thats my 2 cents at least

don't attempt the H22. yes it can be done but do you really want to spend a month or two trying to get it in their and working? The B16 will be plenty to pull that 1970lb.(?) car. And theres more aftermarket support for it as well.

what can any one tell me about a frankenstien setup. like a B18 block with a B16 head. :huh:

i have a b16 in my eg and im completely satisfied, its a huge differance from stock in every aspect and theres so much more i can do.

sure an h22 would be more power out of the box, but overall i think a bseries is the best route.

you mentioned the prices were similar for the two, theres alot more involved with the h swap though and i think youll find it more expensive and time consuming in the longrun. where the bseries is pretty much everything you need to get running and keep you running for a long time to come.

.o2

H22 isn't that smart,Ya it's 200 horsepower but you could go with a B18c5 GSR motor is runing 195 which will save you Cashmoney.And It's Easier to swap if your doing it yourself.

y-speed: a b18c5 is an ITR motor. it will cost more than a b16, it'll come with a hydro tranny if he gets a swap, and it will be obd2.

a b18c1 is a gsr motor, it will also come with a hydro tranny, and can be obd1 or 2

RiceRocket55:

here is a price breakdown-

b16
swap + labor=2000-2500

h22
swap= 2700
custom mounts=700
custom axles=300-500
custom wiring=300+
all the time you will need to modify your frame to fit the much larger motor= Free if you do it your self or 1000+

the b16 is a much easier and cheaper swap. if you want 200 hp, buy a b16 and later buy a cheap ls block. put your b16 pistons on the ls rods, grab some arp bolts and head studs. buy an adjustable cam gear set and go to a dyno. done.

Back