is a b16a enough

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DA69

hey guys i just want to get some opinions here. i had an ls/vtec in my teg until fri nite. i wound up flaoting a valveand i was gonnna put all of my titanium shit in this week. So to keep it short my motor is fucked. anyhow i was looking and found 2 engines complete. 1 was a b16a for 550 and the other was a b16a2 for 650. with the b16a2 i was just gonna use the obdo sensors i have on it and plus the a2 is 170 hp. so let me know what you all think. I have just been bummin on this topic/ :(

the a1 will be an easier swap simply because you can for the most part pug it all in, especialyl considering you are already ls/vtec'ed

if only your head is fucked, why not just buy a new head and put it on your ls block?

and 650 for a b16 head is kinda pricey... look harder.

yeah i wish it was just the head SOL. but i had more damage, a hole in my piston, my cylinder wall was scratched. its just a total loss really. but the price i gave was for the whole motor. i found heads as cheap as 375, but a whole motor for 550 i thought what a deal. so thats what im thinkin

You are going to miss the torque, but it will pull the car around. Just not as fast as you are used too. :(

I am sorry to hear about the engine.

well i was going to add my whole valve train to it. itr cams, valves, valve springs and skunk ti reatainers. also my i/h/e plus my chipped ecu. so im guess i would be in the 200hp range with tuning. i just wonder what the torque would be

depending on how bad the block is scratched, you might be able to get away with a .5mm overbore and clean it up. get some standard itr or ctr overbore pistons and you are good to go again. figure 250 for the pistons, 100 in bore/hone machine work. so 350 + 350 for the head (and if you look harder, you might be able to find a bare/stripped head, cuz you ahve valve train already)... about 100 more than buying the whole b16 you found for 550, and much much much more powerful.

yeah sol you have a point there. im thinkin i may need rods to though. i have not pulled it apart all the way just yet. also right now my motor is 25 over with 25 over type r pistons. if i bored to 30 over, could i just get rings? or do i need another whole set of pistons. obviously i need the pistons anyway, but im not sure what size they come in. this is the first motor i built and the first i blew up. So please bare with me

I just used dual rings on a 5mm overbore on my V8 and its a little dirty but works , the tolerances on the honda's are very tight I would get more info before trying as I said 5mm on a 318V8 runs dirty so the seal is lacking somewhat

umm, they dont go by mm's for domestics.. they use standard messurements.

yes, .05,sorry

and the overbore on my 318 was not on purpose hence the wrong rings and crappy seal

EDIT:and yes I got my money back for the bore job but no money for the block...WTF

thanx guys for all the help. are there any type r pistons that are .30 over bore or even .40 over? i just want it to be right. cuz im kinda weighing my options right now

who knows. stop using SAE measurements on imports :) we use mm's, not inches.

81 is std bore
81.5 is std overbore (what you have now)
next step is sleeving im afraid. your walls will be stupid thin on an 82 bore and you're going to have a hard time finding pistons. next size up is the 83 or the 84 or 84.5 on a sleeved bottom end. is that worth it to you, i don't know.

so really what i need to do is another ls block and some .25 over pistons again. well that helps. atleast i know what i can do. so thats my mission then and thats what i will do thanx sol you have been a great big help.

Back