Is a d series worth building?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jdmfosho

I have A 99 civic coupe and I plan on building my engine
Was wonderin if it's worth it to put the money in a d series single cam or should I look into putting like a b series in and then build that?

Well not exactly sure on budget plan on makin few grand this summer
And for my goal probably around 300

well to get that safely your gonna have to build up a d series and turbo it on to of it or, just get a b series with a turbo on a good tune and be done with it

300hp is possible w/ a D-series.. much easier w/ a b-series.. .. either one will require a turbo setup

b18 ls vtech all the way i stand buy it have a friend thats running 450 hp out of his

you mean VTEC

LS, 1000 bucks. GSR 2000 bucks. LS/V do it yourself.. 1500 bucks.

These are rough numbers for decent engines. Go to hmotorsonline.com and shop around, that will give you a good idea what a good clean motor will cost. Or you can roll the dice at your local salvage yard and see what comes up.

ive never done a swap before but i ahve some friends who have but they were sayin would be a little harder cus i have a d series in mine now and want to put a b series in its not to difficult is it?

i have and its the first place i will check when buying my next motor

Nobody here has any confidence in the D-Series. Ever think of it this way?
For the cost of your swap (say around $2500-3k when its all said and done) you could have easily built that D-Series (Pistons, Rods, Sleeves). Now, say that B-Series wasn't enough, and you decided to turbo it stock.. another 1500-2k on a decent turbo setup +tune puts you at almost 5k into the B-Series and you're still stock turbo'd.

Take that money you just put into the turbo for the B, and turbo the D, and you already have a built engine that's ready for it.

IMO, stick with the D-Series. Just as capable of making power with the right parts.

but even with the new sleeves which cost a pretty penny they cant hold as much hp as easy a b series can tho can they?

and where u take your car to get after market sleeves?

but even with the new sleeves which cost a pretty penny they cant hold as much hp as easy a b series can tho can they?

and where u take your car to get after market sleeves?

A properly re-sleeved D-Series will EASILY take just as much abuse as a B-Series. Its just cheaper to do because you already have that engine.

You can send your engine to just about any speed shop and they will do it, I know Kaizenspeed in Washginton does it, search the shops in your area.

Back