Is a d series worth building?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

can any auto motive shop do it? or is it a special kind of sleep?

You can buy the sleeves themselves from the manufacturer or on eBay then have a machine shop install them.

You have a D16Y8 right?

Maybe look into getting another block like a D16Z6 block or even better a D16A6 block and keep your head. The "Y" motors spin bearings on a regular basis and even built there is still a greater possibilaty of it spinning than one of the blocks I listed above.

Just a suggestion to make it even stronger. :)

Last edited:
You have a D16Y8 right?

Maybe look into getting another block like a D16Z6 block or even better a D16A6 block and keep your head. The "Y" motors spin bearings on a regular basis and even built there is still a greater possibilaty of it spinning than one of the blocks I listed above.

Great suggestion. I had read this thread before and didn't notice if anyone had mentioned it yet but civicboy is right, OP. You'll also bump up compression a little bit more with your Y8 head if you go with a different block. Keep in mind you HAVE to get it TUNED. Best of luck to you my friend. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I almost forgot, rep, Civicboy. :thumbsup:

Nobody here has any confidence in the D-Series. Ever think of it this way?
For the cost of your swap (say around $2500-3k when its all said and done) you could have easily built that D-Series (Pistons, Rods, Sleeves). Now, say that B-Series wasn't enough, and you decided to turbo it stock.. another 1500-2k on a decent turbo setup +tune puts you at almost 5k into the B-Series and you're still stock turbo'd.

Take that money you just put into the turbo for the B, and turbo the D, and you already have a built engine that's ready for it.

IMO, stick with the D-Series. Just as capable of making power with the right parts.

well said, I use to run 15g on my D15, but now its all motor vtec and its still tons of fun. The B's are fast yes but all motor vs all motor D ( vtec) they draw close, i have taken many B16's with my D all motor and parts are cheap. 3k to turbo it or 1500 and you have a nice all motor.

alright then. ill prob look into a new d series block. then re sleeve. then boost it then tune it then do some engine building.
thanks for all the help everyone!

Now im not sure if the Y8 head will fit on the ZC block but if any knows, then do that because its way better compression and a strong block. I have a d16z6 head on a ZC block, i lowered the compression to 8.6 but stock ZC block and stock ZC pistons come at i believe 9.4:1? somewhere close. But either way if you boost it it will hold even without sleeving it.. but im not saying you shouldnt get it sleeved though.

Okay cool
Does anyone know if the y8 head will fit on a zc block?
And how do u change the compressions on a piston?

Okay cool
Does anyone know if the y8 head will fit on a zc block?
And how do u change the compressions on a piston?

well you pretty much buy pistons that are milled to a certain compression. if you want good compression range for boost i'd go with anywhere from 8.5:1 all the way to 10:1.. anything in between would be good, but the lower the compression the more boost you'll need but also means not as much strain on the block as it would be with higher compression, but higher compression makes more power with less boost. Personally i have 8.6:1 and im using vitara pistons in my ZC block. i'm on 19psi with a stock D16 Z6 vtec head, skunk 2 Intake Mani and 62mm BBS throttle body but im about to get d16A6 pistons which will raise my compression to about 10.4:1, but right now i make roughly 240 whp on a good tune. I could go to 24psi but im having valve float issues and torque is dropping off so it be pointless.. but thats a different thread.

If you want to test out different variations of heads/blocks/bore/ etc use this calculator:
SolBlu's Helpful Del Sol Site

I say go for the D.

My d14 puts out more power now, with a mild build, than any stock D-series. 1.4 liters of pure, unadulterated power, and it started with 75HP, now it makes more like 140HP at the wheels.

Build the D. If it does break, you've always got a nice big pool of spare parts (any junkyard).

EDIT: Besides, everyone loves to see a D get built.

D > B > K > R

i think you should run a poll on this thread, between a D and B series to see just how many people think so.

its all gonna come down to power goal and budget

i think you should run a poll on this thread, between a D and B series to see just how many people think so.

You're going to get the majority in favor of B-Series every fkn time. People like the fact that they can just slap another engine in there without any real work and see some gains.

yeah but at the same time, the amount of money it would take to slap that stock B series into your car in place of your D series, you could put into the D-series and have a already decent build on it.
But again like AHHVTEC said, it all comes down to power goal and budget.

thanks alot for the help everyone.
does anyone know exactly what blocks will fit on a d16y8 head?

Back