Is a g-tech worth a darn?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ahedau

According to a few runs this afternoon w/ a borrowed g-tech, my car:

0-60 - 8.67
60-0 170 feet

1/4 mi. 16.7 @ 87.7MPH

engine mods are I/H/E only, that was with CHEAP street tires, one passenger (my son) and a car full of crap.

Anywho, guys says he'll sell me the G-tech for $50. I was wondering if was worth the money or should I just borrow it and play w/ it.

I bought one back in the day when it first came out like 5 years ago and it worked very well IF you set it up right

if it was setup slighty wrong you would get way off #s

another thing is to make sure you are on the FLAT street "duh"

whats your car/

'92 VX hatch w/ a Z6 = 2090# empty... prolly pushing 2400# this afternoon

make sure you are on the FLAT street

only empty street at 2 in the afternoon had a slight incline. The g-meter read -.02 sitting still.

the one with the G-meter?

both the G-tech and the G-tech Pro have g-meters. This is the original one though...

I'd like to use it to see if tires and which of my three exhaust options have any effect on performance. The instructions say this is what its designed to do but I would like real world testimonials..

like this...
it worked very well IF you set it up right

I used it on a few cars and for the most part it worked very well. other then the HP rating did not always work all that well but the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times seemed pretty much right on with the real thing

something I never did but should have is run at the track with the Gtech on then compare the two

it is good for comparing situations. If you have three exhaust then it would work to determine the best one. even if the numbers are way off than a track, record the results on stock, test 1, test 2, test 3. If the constants do not change(street, tires, everything else) you should get an accurate reading of what the variable did for you.

just make sure you do many tests for each setup to eliminate human error

thanks everyone...

I'll be doing some testing over the next several weeks then.. The instructions say to do a minimum of 5 runs. Throw away you're lowest two and then average your highest three. More runs are better but to keep the 2:3 ratio (10 runs throw out your lowest 4 and so on)..

I'll use the g-force meter to see just how much stickier my Azenis are over cheap stock over the Hoosiers I just bought. First the g's where they begin to skid and then lateral g's. I can already tell you that cheap stock tires lock-up close the .8 g's of panic/threshold braking.

I have (1) a header muffler, (2) 2 1/4" pipe running into a Bosal muffler and (3) the stock soda straw w/ no muffler.. We'll see...

I have a '92 VX not CX (but really, what's the dif?)

I agree, I should have run a lower time. I was thinking low 16's even with cheap street tires and an extra 110lbs. But, however, I ran 16.7. That was one run after five 0-60 & 60-0 in a row at 2 in the afternoon. I didn't feel like pressing my luck anymore, especially with my 8 yr old son in the car.

Back