Is a stock clutch good enough?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pauls81sc

I'm swapping a OBD0 B18A into my 89 CRX, it's my first build and swap and my daily driver so I'm playing it pretty safe.

Here's what is going in:

JE Pistons, 10.6:1 CR, 281 grams
ACT Streetlite flywheel
Mild polish (no porting) on IM
B18B cams
JG throttle body
K&N cone air filter

I plan to add the Skunk2 IM later on.

Stock parts unless noted above.

The OBD0 B18A is listed stock @ 132hp and 121lb-ft torque. I am not sure how much more than that I will get, but it shouldn't be that much. (140 - 145 ???) Havn't a clue about increases in torque over stock.

So the question again is: Will the stock clutch work and more importantly, will it last?

A stock clutch will work. They will hold that amount of power and grab well. I would look towards the exedy clutch. it is a stock replacement clutch and will hold any extra power from mild mods.

On the other hand, i would reconsider polishing the head. it isn't going to give you the results people think they will get. You should look into a port match. a polish will just wear out and not give you any real gains. save the money for cams, header and exhaust.

Thanks, Nick.

The polish a local engine builder friend is doing for free and he swears it will add hp so I'm not going to argue with him. But your input is duly noted.

Paul

You'll probably gain about 6% over stock, just based on the rough "rule" of 4% per full point compression increase. Add on an intake, header and exhaust and you can count a few extra ponies in there.

If you haven't bought the pistons yet, and want to go with higher compression (closer to 11.5:1), you can actually make some serious power once you have the head opened up with a nice port job and a good set of cams.

Quoted post[/post]]
Thanks, Nick.

The polish a local engine builder friend is doing for free and he swears it will add hp so I'm not going to argue with him. But your input is duly noted.

Paul

well if he's doing it for free he should port match it to go along with it. it wont take much more work. good luck :mrgreen:

Okay, thanks for the help guys.

I have a stock clutch with light mileage on it that I will use.

But let me ask this question another way:

How much HP can a stock clutch reliably hold? (Assuming B18A at 130HP stock)

it will hold all the basic bolt ons. i/h/e etc. you need to worry about that stuff when you start adding a forced induction or raise your compression rates. stock will hold an extra 10-15% over stock ratings.

You should look at an exedy stage 1 clutch/pp. I believe its 32% stronger holding power. Better than stock, not too expensive, and an awesome clutch. feels/opperates just like the stock one. Nice for spirited launches. : :) I've put them in every honda I've had so far and love them.

Quoted post[/post]]
You should look at an exedy stage 1 clutch/pp. I believe its 32% stronger holding power. Better than stock, not too expensive, and an awesome clutch. feels/opperates just like the stock one. Nice for spirited launches. : :) I've put them in every honda I've had so far and love them.

that's what i put in my old b16 and in my gsr swap. they are great.

Quoted post[/post]]
+1

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
+1
+2

NoLimitMotorsports on Honda-Tech sells the kit for $250 shipped, pm him... I just ordered my second one.

Back